Senior Software Engineer, APIOps (Remote)
United States /
Engineering – Gateway & K8s /
Are you ready to power the World's connections?
If you don’t think you meet all of the criteria below but are still interested in the job, please apply. Nobody checks every box - we’re looking for candidates that are particularly strong in a few areas, and have some interest and capabilities in others.
About the role:
You will be part of a new team that will own configuration management and APIOps for Kong’s product. This team is responsible for managing and developing Kong cloud-native components. We are responsible for building and pushing Kong to the bleeding edge of cloud-native and the CNCF stack.
What is APIOps
We’re applying the solid and proven principles of DevOps and GitOps to the API and microservice lifecycle.
With APIOps, we also equip every user, whether developers, architects or operators, with self-serve and automated tools that ensure the quality of the specs and APIs that are being built at every step of the life cycle. The earlier in the pipeline you can identify deviations from your standards, the faster they are to resolve. The greater the number of services you build following this approach, the greater the consistency between them and the smaller the chance of deploying a service that is of too poor quality to be consumed.
Why should you want to work at Kong?
Market Opportunity - We are on a quest to build a $10b+ software company over the next few years and need YOUR help!
- APIs are driving innovation across every industry!
- Strong VC team, Series D, strong year over year revenue growth!
Technical Leadership - We are recognized as the leader in innovation in the connectivity space.
- Marco, our CTO/co-founder - “We are the Cisco of L4 and L7” - CUBE Conversation, March 2021
- We are the leading innovator in the connectivity space!
Amazing Team & Culture - Come be a "Konger" and find out what we mean.
- Great Place to Work Certified in 2020 & 2021
- Kong employees discuss our culture at our 2020 Company Kickoff
Building Great Products - Learn why the world's largest companies love our tech!
- Over 250m+ downloads of our open source API gateway! Over 40k+ stars on Github between Kong API and Kong Insomnia!
What you'll be doing:
- Work on high visibility open-source decK project, which provides a declarative interface for managing Kong gateway and Konnect platform, Think about it like a kubectl for Kong.
- Design and code CLI workflows that provide the best-in-class Developer Experience (DX) to the user of Kong Gateway.
- Design and develop Kong cross-platform integrations using REST API.
- Write automated tests to ensure behavior of code and avoid regressions.
- Assist in defining, estimating, and shaping technical solutions using best practices.
- Working with a diverse team of people from all over the world.
- Help innovate our tooling and processes to make you and your team more efficient.
- Leverage your deep experience working on large scale cloud-native infrastructure.
- And any additional tasks required by manager.
What you'll bring:
- BS degree in Computer Science, similar technical field of study or equivalent practical experience.
- 2 years of experience contributing to the architecture and design (architecture, design patterns, reliability and scaling) of new and current systems.
- A demonstrable track record of large scale Go/Java/C++ projects, experience with REST/gRPC, Containerization and Microservices.
- Familiarity with shipping Infrastructure as Code (IaC) paradigms.
- Strong sense of ownership and good communication skills.
- Hands on experience contributing CLI tooling's.
- Hands-on API development toolchain and automation.
- Experience in APIOps, API Gateway, Service mesh, L3/4/7 Proxy, container technologies, and the Cloud Native Stack.
- Experience in building and fostering an Open-Source community.
- Experience scoping, resourcing, managing and overcoming obstacles in software development projects.
- Familiarity in developing and evolving APIs.
We are an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or veteran status.
What is a Konger?
We are a group of makers, thinkers, and doers focused on helping today’s developers build tomorrow’s technology. Our teams work on the bleeding edge of API innovation to provide our users with a central nervous system for data and services.
We put design at the heart of everything we do, and we’re relentlessly focused on creating beautiful experiences for our customers. That’s why technology companies, major banks, e-commerce innovators, and government agencies put Kong in front of their most important web applications.
We believe in the power of Open Source and everything it stands for. That’s why developers around the world enthusiastically contribute on top of our open-source platform.
We are passionate about solving challenges that will fundamentally shape the future of technology, and we’re looking for the right people to join us on our mission. If you believe in taking ownership of your work, making an impact, and having fun along the way, we would love to talk to you.
Kong Core Values:
Be Inclusive. We work together from anywhere to achieve our common goals. Our differences make us stronger.
Be Authentic. We are genuine, principled and confident without arrogance. Show respect and kindness, especially in tough moments.
Be Relentlessly Resourceful. We work with purpose, obsession and grit. It takes muscle to do hard things and doing hard things build muscle.
Be Customer Obsessed. We care. Customers are everything, we put them at the center of everything you do. We are all empowered to make an impact.
Be Curious. We value ideas over hierarchy. Never accept the status quo. We make bold bets, fail, and learn everyday. There is always a way.
Be an Owner. We are drivers not passengers and own the quality and outcomes of our work.
Kong creates software and managed services that connect APIs and microservices natively across and within clouds, Kubernetes, data centers and more using intelligent automation. Built on an open source core, Kong’s service connectivity platform enables digital innovation by allowing organizations to reliably and securely manage the full lifecycle of APIs and services for modern architectures, including microservices, serverless and service mesh. By providing developer teams with unprecedented architectural freedom, Kong accelerates innovation cycles, increases productivity, and seamlessly bridges legacy and modern systems and applications. For more information about Kong, please visit konghq.com or follow @thekonginc on Twitter.