About Kountable Inc. Kountable is the first managed marketplace for the Global South. Through its technology platform (on web and mobile), it harnesses the massively transformative and distributed capabilities of entrepreneurs in emerging markets who are solving some of the world's biggest problems. In developing economies, entrepreneurs serve as a vital link between institutions and foreign suppliers of specialized goods and equipment. Kountable’s network connects these local entrepreneurs with multinational suppliers and top-quality goods that are then delivered to end payers such as governments, NGOs or corporates looking to complete large scale projects. The types of goods Kountable helps procure are focused in the industries of ICT, healthcare and industrial. By combining local expertise with global scale, Kountable brings unprecedented transparency and efficiency to global trade and unlocks the inherent potential in underserved markets.
Kountable is looking for a business minded, transactional generalist to take on a wide variety of legal responsibilities in support of Kountable’s global trade network and technology platform. You will be the second lawyer on the legal team and report directly to the General Counsel in San Francisco. You will support Kountable’s diverse teams in the U.S., Africa and Europe. Kountable is looking for a standout, team player willing to take on any project, large or small, that is ready to support Kountable’s rapid growth.
- Review, draft and negotiate a variety of complex commercial agreements including OEM, sales, distribution and finance contracts, strategic partner agreements, procurement and vendor contracts, confidentiality agreements and other contracts.
- Work cross-functionally with all business units at all levels including compliance, finance, product, trade, people operations, marketing and business development teams around the globe in a fast-paced and hands-on environment.
- Build close relationships with company personnel worldwide with a willingness to travel internationally as necessary; Counsel and train internal teams regarding company policies, legal issues, and risk tolerance.
- General corporate legal housekeeping; lead the legal team’s efforts in the preparation, implementation and optimization of forms, processes, policies and procedures.
- 5-10 years’ relevant experience negotiating commercial contracts; prior in-house experience with a technology or startup company required.
- Active CA bar membership or CA in-house registration.
- Passion for Kountable’s mission to connect emerging market entrepreneurs with the technology and financing needed to take on larger projects.
- Knowledgeable about supply chain, logistics, global trade, trade finance, SAAS and mobile technology platforms.
- International legal, regulatory, data privacy, and business experience (Africa and other emerging markets a plus).
- Practical problem solver and negotiator that can find the right balance between risk and reward with teammates and operations in diverse countries throughout the world
- Ability to take initiative, work independently, make decisions based on incomplete information, own the results, and figure out how to do better next time.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills (in plain English, not legalese).
Community is at the center of who we are. We strive to foster a culture of inclusion and belonging, leveraging our differences as strengths. We aim to create a company culture where our team members are connected, can thrive and feel empowered to be their authentic selves at work. Getting there means hiring people who represent a variety of backgrounds, experiences, and viewpoints, and – most importantly – making sure we create an environment that allows all team members to reach their full potential.
Kountable is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer. Kountable does not make hiring or employment decisions on the basis of race, color, religion or religious belief, ethnic or national origin, nationality, sex, gender, gender-identity, sexual orientation, disability, age, military or veteran status, or any other basis protected by applicable local, state, or federal laws or prohibited by Company policy. Kountable also strives for a healthy and safe workplace and strictly prohibits harassment of any kind. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance and other similar state laws and local ordinances, and its internal policy.
We look forward to receiving your application!