Engineering Manager/Lead - Data/Back-End
Engineering – Engineering
Who we are
Kpler is a technology and data intelligence company providing transparency solutions in the commodity markets. Our software aggregates data from hundreds of sources including radar and satellite imagery as well as logistics, governmental and shipping databases. By connecting the dots across fragmented information landscapes, we bring our clients - mostly oil and gas companies, trading houses, public utilities and shipping companies, financial institutions and hedge funds - unique, real-time understanding of supply and demand in the commodities market.
The company is headquartered in Belgium with offices in 6 countries and 7 locations (Paris, London, Brussels, Dubai, Singapore Houston and New York). With individuals of various backgrounds, diverse skills and international experiences, being global & inclusive is in our DNA!
What you’ll do
We are looking for a hands-on Engineering Manager with solid back-end and data engineering experience to join our software engineering team in Singapore (4 engineers out of 30 engineers globally). Eng Managers at Kpler are very hands-on: You will roughly spend 80-90% of your time working as a tech lead/senior data engineer, and 10-20% of your time in people management.
More specifically you will:
• Design, build and maintain our data pipelines (scrapping, mining and ETL processing)
• Lead the design, development and implementation of various initiatives and take the complete ownership to increase our data quality, accuracy and overall scalability of our system.
• Lead end to end delivery of assigned projects while working with all other stakeholders across the company
• Complete code reviews and ensure that best practices, standards, and processes are adhered to Contribute to hands-on programming 40-50% of the time with your engineers
• Lead and mentor a team of 3-4 engineers: Growing and empowering them to accomplish great things, guide, energize and motivate them
• Recruit great engineers, in collaboration with Kpler’s recruiting team
• Contribute to engineering-wide initiatives as a member of Kpler’s engineering management team
You may be a fit if...
• 6+ years experience in a similar role working with data pipeline code (ideally in Python or Scala) and cloud infrastructure (Amazon AWS)
• Experience developing data processing code (data retrieval, cleaning, complex rules, linear programming, machine learning)
• Experience with SQL (PostgreSQL or equivalent)
• Experience with Big data technologies (at least one of Spark, Hadoop, Kafka, Beam, Airflow)
• Ability to learn quickly and deliver high quality code in a fast-paced, dynamic team environment
• Solid business sense to understand dataset and how to improve their use
• Experience leading or managing a team
• Excellent communication skills to be able to operate in a culturally diverse, global and distributed team
• Experience working with distributed team
• Experience in a SaaS B2B data provider business
• Experience in the commodities or financial sector
• Experience as a Full-Stack/Front developer
But you REALLY need to join us because...
• Interesting product & challenging technical problems to solve: our market is very specialized and quite complicated! This means we build real algos and there’s some serious software engineering at work here!
• Our growth is exponential: we build new features and products everyday! We frequently tackle brand new business areas which means there’s always everything to build and always an interesting problem to sink your teeth into!
• We are still small enough that you can get exposure to our entire tech architecture, be close to the business, see the impact you make and build your career trying out different things!
• We are at the cross-road of Software Engineering, Commodity and Finance. This creates an interesting cultural mix: We value the flexibility, collaboration and employee-centric approach that the Tech culture brings but we also value the pragmatism, hard-working and intellectual excellence expectation that often runs in the Finance and Energy worlds.
• You’ll get to work in a truly global work environment: With offices in 6 countries, we come from more than 20 countries and speak more than 15 languages.
• We offer competitive compensation & benefits and are looking for feedback and opportunity to improve them everyday!