Senior Manager/Associate Director - Private Business Management Consulting
Private Enterprise – Private Enterprise Advisory /
KPMG is one of the most trusted and respected global professional services firms. Through depth of expertise, clarity of insight and strength of purpose we help our private business clients solve complex challenges, steer change, strengthen, transition and grow. We are looking for talented people who share our purpose of inspiring confidence and empowering change for our clients, our people and our communities.
KPMG’s Enterprise Advisory management consultants are focused on helping New Zealand’s private businesses succeed and our communities to grow. In doing so, we believe we will help our country also succeed and prosper. This is more than a goal - it’s our reason for being.
The experience we want our KPMG whānau to have is anchored in our purpose of ‘Fuelling New Zealand’s prosperity’ or ‘Tītokona tō tātou tōnuitanga, mō Aotearoa, mō tātou’. We are proud of our reputation for values-driven behaviour that guides our actions and defines what it means to work at and be part of KPMG.
- Our Enterprise Advisory management consultants help private businesses and organisations reach their goals. Our clients are leaders, entrepreneurs, innovators, and visionaries of subsidiaries of international companies, family-owned New Zealand businesses, for-purpose organisations, and small to medium enterprises, with ambitions to grow and create enduring impact.
- We are a small team of dedicated specialists working with businesses and organisations making their most important decisions. Our services traverse a wide range of business areas from corporate strategy through to operational implementation, all with a focus on lifting commercial performance.
- We are seeking a senior commercial leader who will help grow and drive delivery of our business strategy and performance improvement services. This is an opportunity to help grow a high performing team that will support private business clients in making their most important strategic decisions and build their capability to create, deliver, and capture value.
- The primary focus of this role is to grow our reach and impact in helping private business clients solve their complex challenges through winning and delivering engagements. To be successful in this role you will be motivated by the opportunity to leverage and adapt your corporate or large enterprise experience and expertise for the benefit of private businesses, who are the backbone of the New Zealand economy. You will be confident navigating a wide range of commercial issues at C-Suite level, but also appreciate the unique challenges of the family-owned or owner-operator environment. You will be comfortable on the factory floor and in a Board room. It is likely that you have led or had significant involvement in business transformation or pan-organisation strategic projects.
- We operate a diverse, fun, and varied working environment where lateral thinking, sharp commercial acumen, and confidence working with ambiguity in a fast-paced manner will stand you in good stead. No 2 days are the same!
- This role will involve national travel to meet the needs of engagement delivery and we offer a flexible working policy. However please note that our current focus is on candidates who are willing to be based in Wellington for this role.
Day to day you will:
- Work with private sector clients in the $5M-100M turnover range across a range of industries;
- Lead engagements with clients, ranging from Board and C-suite through to owner-operators;
- Design and facilitate workshops with clients;
- Conduct analysis to identify issues, form hypotheses and suggest solutions;
- Prepare insightful presentations to communicate findings to clients and motivate change;
- Act as a constructive go-to technical expert to coach, develop and support staff in the delivery of services so that KPMG can meet its obligations to clients
- Actively network and leverage your business networks to generate opportunities and win work
- Contribute towards the leadership and growth of our team
What you'll bring to our team:
- Relevant tertiary qualification
- Ideally 10+ years’ relevant work experience with demonstrated track record of leading or working in private sector businesses in achieving their ambitions
- A passion for helping private businesses grow, an ability to engage productively with senior business leaders, a strong achievement drive, an ability to grasp new concepts quickly
- Track record of applying strategic and structured thinking conceptual models in helping businesses achieve success
- Excellent problem solving and analytical skills, a strategic and innovative thinker
- Demonstrated experience or understanding of applying design thinking to solve commercial problems and create value
- Solution-oriented and committed to continuous improvement of self, systems, and processes in pursuit of personal and business outcomes
- A strong achievement drive, with a curious mindset and an ability to grasp new concepts quickly.
- Demonstrated senior experience in any of the following: Strategy, Export, Finance, Marketing, Business Process Improvement, Business Transformation, Project Management, Management Consulting, Capability Development/Adult Learning, Business Model Design, Target Operating Model, Change Management, Governance
- Excellent communication and workshop facilitation skills
- A strong network within private sector
- Experience leading multi-disciplinary teams
- Demonstrated business development experience, including proposal writing
- Medium Excel and/or quantitative analysis skills
- Advanced PowerPoint skills
- Appreciation of Te ao Māori or experience working within a Māori context would be advantageous.
KPMG New Zealand has a summer shutdown period from the 23rd December 2022 to the 16th January 2023 (inclusive). During this time, please expect a delay in response to any new applications. Most recruitment processes will commence interviewing in February 2023.
Life at KPMG
We offer rewarding careers to talented individuals and a holistic range of benefits to support your life balance, whatever your circumstance. We want you to do Work That Matters, Thrive and Grow and know that you Belong here with us, at KPMG.
As a KPMG employee, we will offer you:
— Access to the firm's annual incentive scheme
— Opportunities for local and international secondments
— Hybrid working across a mix of office, client and home hubs to recognise that people have individual circumstances and preferences when it comes to where and how they work
— A technology starter pack to get your 'home hub' set up
— The ability to work from overseas and extend time connecting with friends and family outside New Zealand
— Flexible leave options, including the ability to purchase additional annual leave.
— Gender-neutral support for all stages of the parental journey, including access to 18 weeks of fully paid parental leave for all new parents
— A paid professional association membership of your choice
— Unlimited digital accreditations through our partnership with Microsoft, LinkedIn Learning, with bespoke learning pathways for all employees
— A wide-range of special offers and discounts on insurances, banking services, and lifestyle goods and services.
— The support, allyship and opportunity to join our many Inclusion, Diversity and Equity Affinity networks, including the Kiwa, Pride, Ethnicity, Accessibility and Wahine groups
— The opportunity to participate in Green Team activities, as we work toward reducing the firm’s environmental footprint and become carbon zero by 2030
— An invitation to join your local Social club and enjoy events aimed at bringing people together for social, sporting, cultural, family and fundraising activities
— Paid time off for volunteering and involvement in citizenship activities
— An array of health and wellness benefits such as free flu vaccinations, subsidised sporting events, free confidential counselling services, additional leave to support you and your family in the recovery from COVID-19, access to our Wellbeing portal with an extensive range of advice and resources and much much more!
We believe that diversity of background and experience strengthens relationships and delivers meaningful benefits to our people, clients and communities. Our goal is to be recognised as an employer of choice for all, irrespective of gender, ethnicity, generation, flexible work status, family circumstances, sexual orientation or disability. Further info can be found on our website
We are a 2023 Circle Back Initiative Employer – we commit to respond to every applicant.