Associate Director Treasury Risk
Consulting – Financial Risk Management /
KPMG New Zealand is part of the international KPMG network and aims to provide the best audit, tax and advisory services to clients.
Our Financial Risk Advisory team has extensive treasury, prudential regulatory and financial instruments accounting advisory experience (RBNZ Banking Handbook, IFRS 9, IFRS 7 and IAS 32) in the market as well as in-depth understanding of technical accounting and insights into practical application issues and challenges.
The team’s experience enables us to anticipate and proactively address the challenges in the application of these accounting standards to the financial services and non-financial services sector. Our proven track record have resulted in significant growth which require dynamic and skilled individuals to deliver.
- This role will see you work closely with a variety of clients, including NZX listed corporates and registered banks. This role will also provide you with opportunities to get involved in areas of financial risk e.g. corporate treasury, market risk etc.
- The primary focus of the successful candidate will be hedge accounting and financial instruments valuation for financial services and corporate clients, with secondary focus on prudential regulatory engagements.
- The seniority of the role would depend on the experience of the candidate.
Day to day you will:
- Provide specialist advice on the assessment and implementation of IFRS 9 and IAS39, IFRS 7 and practical advice on financial instrument accounting issues.
- Deliver on financial instruments related engagements (Advisory or Audit) - this includes:
- Designate hedging relationships using forward foreign exchange contract, interest rate swaps, cross currency interest rate swaps and options;
- Auditing or accounting advice on hedge documentation, hedge effectiveness testing and hedge accounting journals;
- Financial instrument valuations (calculating CVA/DVA adjustments)
- Financial instruments and hedge accounting related disclosures
- Assess the impact of emerging issues on borrowing, investment or hedging activities.
- Provide subject matter expertise on technical accounting as well as practical implications relating to IFRS 9 hedge accounting standards
- Lead client workshops, training and challenge around clients’ IFRS 9 hedge accounting principles and practices
- Lead regulatory compliance reviews of registered banks on market risk and liquidity risk.
What you will bring to the team:
- Risk and regulatory experience in a banking, finance or corporate treasury environment.
- Understanding of financial markets particularly debt capital markets, FX and interest rate risk and derivatives
- In-depth knowledge of financial instruments valuation, including impact of collateralisation. Knowledge of the upcoming IBOR reform is beneficial.
- Accounting experience and familiarity with the application of IAS 39 and IFRS 9, IFRS 7 and IFRS 13
- Excel/VBA, SQL (views, joins, stored procedures, etc.), MS SQL Server.
- Experience in business development, as well as proposal writing and presenting to clients
- Chartered Accountant or equivalent qualification
- Previous experience managing and coaching a team
- Proven track record in report writing
- Prior consulting experience is welcomed but not necessary, similarly to model validation experience
Life at KPMG
We offer rewarding careers to talented individuals and a range of benefits to help provide holistic support for your work life, whatever your circumstance. As a KPMG employee, we will offer you:
- Hybrid Working – a mix of working in the office and at home to enhance your work/life balance
- Flexible leave options, including the ability to purchase additional annual leave
- Access to ‘Whanau@KPMG’ – 18 weeks’ paid flexible leave for all new parents - primary and secondary carers
- Unlimited access to LinkedIn Learning, with bespoke learning pathways for all employees.
- Discounts on a range of lifestyle goods and services.
- Opportunity to join any of our Inclusion, Diversity and Equity networks as a participant and ally.
- Opportunity to join our Social club and enjoy activities such as cooking classes, painting, quiz nights and more.
We believe diversity of thought, background and experience strengthens relationships and delivers meaningful benefits to our people, our clients and communities. We strive to be recognised as an employer of choice for all, irrespective of gender, ethnicity, generation, flexible work status, family circumstances, sexual orientation or disability and our inclusive culture promotes the development of our people nationwide.
A COVID-19 My Vaccine Pass is required to access KPMG premises and to attend events run by KPMG. We also work within the requirements of our clients regarding vaccinations and other guidelines, when entering client premises and attending client events. For more information on our COVID-19 Protection guidelines, please visit our website.
To be legally entitled to work in New Zealand, you should be a New Zealand citizen / resident or Australian citizen / permanent resident; or alternatively you must hold a valid work visa for New Zealand. Please check the New Zealand Immigration website for the most up to date information.
We are a 2022 Circle Back Initiative Employer – we commit to respond to every applicant.