Director – Risk and Assurance
Consulting – Wellington Consulting /
KPMG Governance, Risk & Compliance Services – Who are we?
We are a specialist Consulting Team dedicated to fuelling New Zealand prosperity through viewing risk management as a lever for enhancing innovation, reputation and sustainable growth. Our team works with key government clients at all levels (from Board down) across every facet of their business management to achieve optimal governance, risk and control environments that support the organisations’ strategic and operational priorities for the benefit of all New Zealanders. We come from a diverse group of backgrounds, including accountants, lawyers, engineers, management consultants, economists, and business professionals.
- Our team is growing, and we are seeking to engage an exceptional candidate with experience in leading a variety of engagements in our Public Sector practice.
- If you want to have a role with a purpose, make a tangible impact on the future of New Zealand, work with exceptional people and have got Internal Audit, Risk Management, Governance and/or Compliance in your CV, we would love to talk to you.
- We are looking for a Director who can help drive our continued delivery excellence as well as support the rapid growth of our Public Sector practice.
This is how you will be contributing to the role:
- Guide and develop teams to deliver large, complex, and multi-functional engagements, specifically in relation to internal audit, controls advisory, transformation assurance, risk assessments, and maturity assessments for clients.
- Oversight of quality of deliverables produced by teams across different disciplines.
- Develop and execute methodologies and innovative solutions specific to internal audit.
- Develop and maintain relationships with senior management within clients (including C - suite level), and work with them to define their long-term plans and the roadmap to achieve this, including where KPMG can support.
- Engage teams, instil confidence, and coach people to find meaning in their work and achieve exceptional results.
- Successfully engage with a variety of internal and external stakeholders and an ability to bring people together, develop meaningful relationships, integrate services and work collaboratively with a team of experts across the wider consulting teams.
- Add value and build long term relationships with clients, identifying opportunities and pursuing them, developing thought leadership, leading client proposals and developing team capabilities.
- Demonstrate commercial awareness and the ability to identify and seize opportunities to enhance revenue and improve profitability.
The skills you will need:
- Substantial, demonstrable experience of internal audit, assurance, controls and/or corporate compliance, including consulting, auditing, risk management, or operational roles.
- Ability to manage Partner level internal, C-Suite level Client, and external third-party relationships.
- Advanced problem solving and analytical skills with proven ability to use data effectively to identify and resolve issues.
- Previous experience managing teams and projects, accustomed to taking an active role in executing engagements.
- The desire to work in a diverse environment.
- Senior leadership experience in Internal Audit services, Risk Management or Compliance.
- Can demonstrate a broad range of client experience across industries, especially in Government and Public sectors.
- Anticipates changes to policy, laws and regulations and provides advice on the impact/implications for clients.
- Recognises the importance of continuous self and team development and actively strives to achieve this.
- Willingness to develop new skills and capabilities, and encourage the team to do the same.
- Helps others to understand how their work contributes to the overall success of an engagement and the wider firm.
Life at KPMG
KPMG values diversity in the workforce and we encourage candidates from diverse backgrounds to apply for roles, including individuals with a disability, additional mental health needs, chronic health conditions or who identify as neurodivergent.
If you encounter accessibility barriers or if you have access needs and require support to participate equitably in the recruitment process, please phone Georgia Davies on 04 816 4598 or email KPMGAccessibilityNetwork@kpmg.co.nz
We offer rewarding careers to talented individuals and a holistic range of benefits to support your life balance, whatever your circumstance. We want you to do Work That Matters, Thrive and Grow and know that you Belong here with us, at KPMG.
As a KPMG employee, we will offer you:
— Access to the firm's annual incentive scheme
— Opportunities for local and international secondments
— Hybrid working across a mix of office, client and home hubs to recognise that people have individual circumstances and preferences when it comes to where and how they work
— A technology starter pack to get your 'home hub' set up
— The ability to work from overseas and extend time connecting with friends and family outside New Zealand
— Flexible leave options, including the ability to purchase additional annual leave.
— Gender-neutral support for all stages of the parental journey, including access to 18 weeks of fully paid parental leave for all new parents
— A paid professional association membership of your choice
— Unlimited digital accreditations through our partnership with Microsoft, LinkedIn Learning, with bespoke learning pathways for all employees
— A wide-range of special offers and discounts on insurances, banking services, and lifestyle goods and services.
— The support, allyship and opportunity to join our many Inclusion, Diversity and Equity Affinity networks, including the Kiwa, Pride, Ethnicity, Accessibility and Wahine groups
— The opportunity to participate in Green Team activities, as we work toward reducing the firm’s environmental footprint and become carbon zero by 2030
— An invitation to join your local Social club and enjoy events aimed at bringing people together for social, sporting, cultural, family and fundraising activities
— Paid time off for volunteering and involvement in citizenship activities
— An array of health and wellness benefits such as free flu vaccinations, subsidised sporting events, free confidential counselling services, additional 5 days of Wellbeing leave to support you and your family's overall health and wellness, access to our Wellbeing portal with an extensive range of advice and resources and much much more!
We believe that diversity of background and experience strengthens relationships and delivers meaningful benefits to our people, clients and communities. Our goal is to be recognised as an employer of choice for all, irrespective of gender, ethnicity, generation, flexible work status, family circumstances, sexual orientation or disability. Further info can be found on our website
We are a 2023 Circle Back Initiative Employer – we commit to respond to every applicant.