Analyst / Senior Analyst / Manager - Deal Advisory
Advisory – Deal Advisory /
Are you interested in working on projects that will deliver real impact for the lives of New Zealanders and developing your skillset as a commercial advisor?
KPMG is one of the most trusted and respected global professional services firms. Through depth of expertise, clarity of insight and strength of purpose we help our clients solve complex challenges, steer change, strengthen, transition and grow.
KPMG’s Deal Advisory team is all about supporting clients with high-value strategic and commercial decisions, in the context of large-scale capital investment, public sector advisory and M&A. We bring financial analysis, commercial acumen and market insights to deliver sound investments and fuel New Zealand’s prosperity.
We are a multidisciplinary team that is proud of its collaborative and supportive culture. Having a collaborative and supportive environment where we help our people to achieve personally and professionally is really important to us and we’re proud of our working culture. We are a team of diverse skillsets and backgrounds who enjoy working together on complex engagements for our commercial and government clients.
- Our Wellington Deal Advisory team is looking for high performing candidates with approximately 2 - 7 years working experience in the private sector or a government agency. We are looking for candidates with a background in consulting, banking, investment, economic or government policy. While our team has a commercial focus, we are also keen to hear from candidates with a government and policy background who have excellent analytical, writing and problem-solving skills.
- We encourage our team members to work across a range of projects as workflows require and learn new skills that provide the foundation of a successful career. As a member of the team, you might be involved in - developing the strategic rationale and commercial and delivery model for a new investment; supporting a public agency or private sector client to procure a large infrastructure project; financial planning to support a transaction or Budget bid; providing strategic advice to a private sector client in a disrupted industry; completing detailed financial analysis to support a business valuation; assisting government with the implementation of a sector reform programme.
- Some recent projects that the team has worked on include - supporting a metro Council with the development of a Community Housing Provider structure for its council housing portfolio; developing a capital investment framework for a capital-intensive government agency; providing commercial and project financing advice relating to the provision of growth infrastructure; divestment of ownership interest in a financial services business; valuing large and medium sized New Zealand businesses; and undertaking due diligence on behalf of a major international client considering the acquisition of a New Zealand entity.
Day to day you will:
- Contribute to the delivery of engagements as part of a high performing project team
- Apply your skills to a range of strategic, commercial and investment decisions for public and private sector clients
- Produce high quality advice in a clear and impactful way
- Support the team in identifying and pursuing new business opportunities
What you'll bring to the team:
- Experience working in an analytical role in a policy, investment, economic or consulting environment
- Dedication to supporting a collaborative and positive team culture
- Proficiency in Microsoft Excel, or a willingness to learn
- A passion for developing solutions to complex strategic, commercial and financial issues across a range of sectors
- Understanding how the New Zealand public sector works, particularly in policy, financial management and/or business case development or a willingness to learn
- Comfortable with both qualitative and quantitative analysis
- Excellent report writing and verbal communication skills, including communicating solutions to complex issues in a simple and accessible way
- Sensitive to client’s needs and an ability to build authentic relationships both internally and externally
We are an equal opportunities employer and have received recognition awards for the progress we have made with:
- Pay equity reviews
- Whanau@KPMG policy which includes a range of initiatives and processes to support working parents and having family responsibilities
- Flex@KPMG policy which encourages flexible working wherever possible.
We are committed to supporting and improving the health and wellbeing of our people. Check out our suite of Wellbeing initiatives at https://www.kpmgnewzealandcareers.co.nz/wellbeingkpmg/
Life at KPMG
KPMG values diversity in the workforce and we encourage candidates from diverse backgrounds to apply for roles, including individuals with a disability, additional mental health needs, chronic health conditions or who identify as neurodivergent.
For disabled and neurodiverse candidates, if you encounter accessibility barriers or if you have access needs and require support to participate equitably in the recruitment process, please phone Georgia Yenge on 04 816 4598 or email KPMGAccessibilityNetwork@kpmg.co.nz
We offer rewarding careers to talented individuals and a holistic range of benefits to support your life balance, whatever your circumstance. We want you to do Work That Matters, Thrive and Grow and know that you Belong here with us, at KPMG.
As a KPMG employee, we will offer you:
— Access to the firm's annual incentive scheme
— Opportunities for local and international secondments
— Hybrid working across a mix of office, client and home hubs to recognise that people have individual circumstances and preferences when it comes to where and how they work
— A technology starter pack to get your 'home hub' set up
— The ability to work from overseas and extend time connecting with friends and family outside New Zealand
— Flexible leave options, including the ability to purchase additional annual leave.
— Gender-neutral support for all stages of the parental journey, including access to 18 weeks of fully paid parental leave for all new parents
— A paid professional association membership of your choice
— Unlimited digital accreditations through our partnership with Microsoft, LinkedIn Learning, with bespoke learning pathways for all employees
— A wide-range of special offers and discounts on insurances, banking services, and lifestyle goods and services.
— The support, allyship and opportunity to join our many Inclusion, Diversity and Equity Affinity networks, including the Kiwa, Pride, Ethnicity, Accessibility and Wahine groups
— The opportunity to participate in Green Team activities, as we work toward reducing the firm’s environmental footprint and become carbon zero by 2030
— An invitation to join your local Social club and enjoy events aimed at bringing people together for social, sporting, cultural, family and fundraising activities
— Paid time off for volunteering and involvement in citizenship activities
— An array of health and wellness benefits such as free flu vaccinations, subsidised sporting events, free confidential counselling services, additional 5 days of Wellbeing leave to support you and your family's overall health and wellness, access to our Wellbeing portal with an extensive range of advice and resources and much much more!
We believe that diversity of background and experience strengthens relationships and delivers meaningful benefits to our people, clients and communities. Our goal is to be recognised as an employer of choice for all, irrespective of gender, ethnicity, generation, flexible work status, family circumstances, sexual orientation or disability. Further info can be found on our website
We are a 2023 Circle Back Initiative Employer – we commit to respond to every applicant.