Legal Counsel – Office of General Counsel
Corporate Services – Risk Management /
KPMG is one of the most trusted and respected global professional services firms. Through depth of expertise, clarity of insight and strength of purpose we help our clients solve complex challenges, steer change, strengthen, transition and grow. We are looking for talented people who share our purpose of inspiring confidence and empowering change for our clients, our people and our communities.
KPMG is focused on fuelling the prosperity of New Zealand. By prosperity we mean shared wealth and lasting wellbeing for all New Zealanders. We believe that by helping New Zealand’s enterprises succeed, the public sector to do better, and our communities to grow, our country will also succeed and prosper. This is more than a goal - it’s our reason for being.
- Join KPMG’s high performing Office of General Counsel team that delivers legal services to a diverse range of internal stakeholders – we’re driven, supportive and will nurture your in-house legal career!
Day to day you will:
- Draft and negotiate complex contracts and commercial arrangements
- Work closely with the risk and compliance teams in relation to key client engagements and supplier contracts
- Help the firm refine or develop new client offerings, often with a technology component
- Assist with the implementation of the firm’s government relations and regulatory affairs strategy
- Advise on data privacy, anti-money laundering and health and safety compliance
- Provide risk management, litigation and regulatory advice where required
- Project manage the building and continuous improvement of in-house legal assets and tools in the form of standard form agreements, playbooks, contract templates and legal processes
What you'll bring to the team:
- 6 - 8 years PQE in corporate, commercial and technology law, gained at a major law firm and/or in an in-house role, with compliance and financial services experience also viewed favourably
- Current New Zealand practising certificate
- End to end contracting skills in commercial and technology law – experience working autonomously with complex MSAs, government contracts, IT/consulting services agreements, complex cloud and/or licensing agreements, statements of work, subcontracts and tender responses.
- Well-developed commercial acumen to overlay the legal analysis and an ability to provide business-ready, practical legal advice in line with our risk appetite
- Strong drafting, negotiation, written and verbal communication skills, with high attention to detail
- Excellent organisational, project management and critical thinking skills, with an ability to ‘think outside the box’ to present alternatives and solutions
- Fresh ideas, a passion for innovation and legal operations, with a tech-savvy approach to legal service delivery
- The ability to adapt to a dynamic and exciting environment at a time where service offerings are being reviewed to meet changing needs
- Flexibility and a team-orientated attitude, as well as the ability to operate independently and proactively manage a high volume of matters and competing priorities
- Collaborative approach with both internal and external stakeholders with an ability to bring people together and develop meaningful relationships
- A good sense of humour and a growth mindset
Life at KPMG
We offer rewarding careers to talented individuals and a range of benefits to help provide holistic support for your work life, whatever your circumstance. As a KPMG employee, we will offer you:
- Hybrid Working – a mix of working in the office and at home to enhance your work/life balance
- Flexible leave options, including the ability to purchase additional annual leave
- Access to ‘Whanau@KPMG’ – 18 weeks’ paid flexible leave for all new parents - primary and secondary carers
- Unlimited access to LinkedIn Learning, with bespoke learning pathways for all employees.
- Discounts on a range of lifestyle goods and services.
- Opportunity to join any of our Inclusion, Diversity and Equity networks as a participant and ally.
- Opportunity to join our Social club and enjoy activities such as cooking classes, painting, quiz nights and more.
We believe diversity of thought, background and experience strengthens relationships and delivers meaningful benefits to our people, our clients and communities. We strive to be recognised as an employer of choice for all, irrespective of gender, ethnicity, generation, flexible work status, family circumstances, sexual orientation or disability and our inclusive culture promotes the development of our people nationwide.
A COVID-19 My Vaccine Pass is required to access KPMG premises and to attend events run by KPMG. We also work within the requirements of our clients regarding vaccinations and other guidelines, when entering client premises and attending client events. For more information on our COVID-19 Protection guidelines, please visit our website.
To be legally entitled to work in New Zealand, you should be a New Zealand citizen / resident or Australian citizen / permanent resident; or alternatively you must hold a valid work visa for New Zealand. Please check the New Zealand Immigration website for the most up to date information.
We are a 2021 Circle Back Initiative Employer – we commit to respond to every applicant.