Senior Manager/Associate Director - Hedge Accounting and Treasury
Consulting – Financial Risk Management /
KPMG people focus every day on fuelling New Zealand’s prosperity. We believe the work we do with businesses; the public sector and our communities can make a real difference to the health, wealth and well-being of New Zealanders.
KPMG’s Financial Risk Management (FRM) team offers specialist advice and assistance to New Zealand banks and corporates in understanding, managing, and reporting their exposures to financial risks. Through depth of expertise in treasury, prudential regulatory and financial instruments accounting, we help our clients anticipate and solve practical and complex issues.
- Due to significant growth, we are looking for a dynamic and skilled team member to lead engagement delivery as well as help us in continually expanding our market presence.
- You will be key to delivering a significant part of our IFRS 9 and financial instruments accounting pipeline, working with a variety of clients including NZX listed corporates and registered banks. This role will provide you with opportunities to get involved in areas of financial risk e.g. corporate treasury, market risk etc.
Day to day you will:
- Focus on hedge accounting and financial instruments valuation for financial services and corporate clients.
- Provide specialist advice on the assessment and implementation of IAS 39 and IFRS 9, IFRS 7 and practical advice on financial instrument accounting issues in general.
- Assess the impact of emerging issues on borrowing, investment or hedging activities.
- Drive client workshops and training around clients’ IFRS 9 hedge accounting practices.
- Keep up-to-date with the market and own IBOR reform-related changes from a valuation as well as hedge accounting perspective.
- Lead business development initiatives, both internally and with clients.
- Expand our solution toolkit with efficient new solutions.
What you'll bring to the team:
- Strong banking finance (including an understanding of the interactions with risk functions) or corporate treasury knowledge.
- Significant experience in accounting/auditing of treasury transactions (debt/equity or derivatives), particularly around the application of IAS32, IAS 39 and IFRS 9.
- Experience in business development, as well as proposal writing and presenting to clients.
- Previous experience managing, coaching and developing teams.
- Excellent project management skills with a proven track record in delivering high-quality services.
- Qualified accountant (CA/CPA would be preferable).
- Excellent communicator to build strong client relationships and translate complex matters to plain English that is easy to understand.
Life at KPMG
We offer rewarding careers to talented individuals and a range of benefits to help provide holistic support for your work life, whatever your circumstance. As a KPMG employee, we will offer you:
— Hybrid Working – a mix of working in the office and at home to enhance your work/life balance
— Flexible leave options, including the ability to purchase additional annual leave
— Access to ‘Whanau@KPMG’ – 18 weeks’ paid flexible leave for all new parents - primary and secondary carers
— Unlimited access to LinkedIn Learning, with bespoke learning pathways for all employees.
— Discounts on a range of lifestyle goods and services.
— Opportunity to join any of our Inclusion, Diversity and Equity networks as a participant and ally.
— Opportunity to join our Social club and enjoy activities such as cooking classes, painting, quiz nights and more.
We believe that diversity of background and experience strengthens relationships and delivers meaningful benefits to our people, clients and communities. Our goal is to be recognised as an employer of choice for all, irrespective of gender, ethnicity, generation, flexible work status, family circumstances, sexual orientation or disability. Further info can be found on our website
We are a 2022 Circle Back Initiative Employer – we commit to respond to every applicant.