Strategic Finance Manager, Debt Financing
Accounting and Finance /
Kraken is changing the world. Join the revolution!
Our mission is to accelerate the adoption of cryptocurrency so that you and the rest of the world can achieve financial freedom and inclusion. Founded in 2011 and with over 4 million clients, Kraken is one of the world’s largest, most successful bitcoin exchanges and we are growing faster than ever. Our range of successful products are playing an important role in the mainstream adoption of crypto assets. We attract people who constantly push themselves to think differently and chart exciting new paths in a rapidly growing industry. Kraken is a diverse group of dreamers and doers who see value in being radically transparent.
In our first decade Kraken has risen to become one of the best and most respected crypto exchanges in the world. We are changing the way the world thinks about money and finance. The crypto industry is experiencing unprecedented growth and Kraken is leading the charge. We’ve grown from 70 Krakenites in January 2017 to over 1800 today and we have no intention of slowing down.
About the role:
The Finance team at Kraken is a group of specialists charged with managing the firm’s liquidity, capital and risk, and providing the overall financial controls and reporting functions for executive decision making, compliance, and audit readiness. Our work contributes directly to Kraken’s success. The newly created Strategic Finance Manager, Debt Financing role within the Strategic Finance team will own our global loans program – both the day to day execution and strategic optimization of the program for efficiency and returns. The Manager will be responsible for the management of the loan program to provide working capital for the rapidly growing initiatives within the company. You will develop partnerships and drive the process to source, negotiate, implement, execute, track, and report loans / interest. This will require balancing our risk profile (interest rates) with our current and future loan program’s needs. The role will work closely with our Director of Finance Transformation, with other Directors on the Strategic Finance team, and with our CFO to determine loan needs and report on the loan program. The role will also work closely with our Business Development, Legal, Tax, Account Management, Banking Relations, Treasury, and Controllership teams for various aspects of loan origination and management. Given the exponential and ongoing growth of our working capital needs, this role will lead continuous improvement and scaling efforts for our loan program.
What you'll do:
- Strive to fully support our loan portfolio needs across all fiat and crypto assets
- Look for continual opportunities to optimize interest rates and collateral requirements
- Seek new sources of loans across Institutional and Retail lenders via collaborations with our Business Development, Banking Relations, and Account Management teams
- Oversee the communication and collaboration across all internal teams to communicate capital needs and optimal rates / collateral needs
- Research and stay current on market lending rates
- Build a model to determine optimal loan structure while balancing capital needs, diversification, and interest rates
- Manage process to setup Master Loans Agreements with Institutional lenders with our Legal and Tax teams
- Manage process to get all loan initiations / extensions signed
- Day to day management to track and execute loan interest payments as well as loan extensions or terminations
- Maintain all lender documents related to all loans
- Maintain up to date summaries of loan program metrics (loan amounts, interest payments, effective rates. Etc.) across all asset classes
- Provide periodic senior management updates regarding the loan program
- Maintain relationships with Institutional and Retail lenders and address any questions about the loan program with them
- Coordinate with Treasury, Tax, Controllership on any tax withholding and reporting requirements (e.g. 1099)
- Participate in joint internal meetings with Treasury / Finance Transformation / Strategic Finance teams to determine loan targets
Who you are:
- Bachelor’s degree
- 3-5 years total experience
- Prior experience in a commercial lending environment especially dealing with crypto asset lending highly preferred
- Knowledge of trading platforms, financial markets, loan programs, and strong passion in cryptocurrency
- Ability to manage a program with several moving parts and collaborate with multiple internal and external parties
- Ability to manage operational steps required with loan sourcing, origination, and execution
- Must be data driven and have experience in developing management dashboard
- High degree of expertise and comfort working with excel / google sheets
- Superior problem-solving and project management skills
- Ability to respond to lenders in a quick turnaround as loan availability and interest rates shift
- Ability to communicate and influence others
- Ability to establish strong working relationships across all levels of management, work collaboratively, manage competing priorities and resources, establish credibility with senior leadership through expertise and the ability for strategic thought partnership
- Experience in global organizations
- Experience in remote organizations preferred, but not required
We’re powered by people from around the world with their own unique backgrounds and experiences. We value all Krakenites and their talents, contributions, and perspectives.
Check out all our open roles at https://www.kraken.com/careers. We’re excited to see what you’re made of.
Learn more about us