Internal Controls Manager
Accounting and Finance /
Kraken is changing the world. Join the revolution!
Our mission is to accelerate the adoption of cryptocurrency so that you and the rest of the world can achieve financial freedom and inclusion. Founded in 2011 and with over 4 million clients, Kraken is one of the world’s largest, most successful bitcoin exchanges and we’re growing faster than ever. Our range of successful products are playing an important role in the mainstream adoption of crypto assets. We attract people who constantly push themselves to think differently and chart exciting new paths in a rapidly growing industry. Kraken is a diverse group of dreamers and doers who see value in being radically transparent.
In less than a decade Kraken has risen to become one of the best and most respected crypto exchanges in the world. We are changing the way the world thinks about money and finance. The crypto industry is experiencing unprecedented growth and Kraken is leading the charge. We’ve grown from 70 Krakenites in January 2017 to over 1200 today and we have no intention of slowing down.
About the Role
The Accounting Manager – Internal Controls will be an integral part of the Finance leadership team. You will work closely with your Finance and Accounting leadership cohorts as well as business partners and other internal and external stakeholders. This role reports to the Head of Internal Controls
What you'll do:
- Develop company-wide and business process risk assessments to evaluate and address any impact the results may have on the control environment.
- Design and implement efficient and effective controls across the organization.
- Create control documentation including process narratives, process flowcharts, and risk & controls matrices to be used to evaluate controls, specifically around a proprietary exchange trading platform.
- Identify and evaluate business and technology risks, internal controls which mitigate risks, and related opportunities for internal control improvement and implementation.
- Use critical thinking skills to quickly identify control deficiencies, evaluate their risk implications, and draw the appropriate conclusions including remediation actions.
- Actively participate in decision making with process owners, provide meaningful insights, and seek to understand the broader impact of current decisions.
- Build and nurture positive working relationships with process owners by providing high quality deliverables and communications, providing them tools and templates that can help them better achieve their process objectives and our control objectives.
- Conduct periodic meetings/walkthroughs with process owners to validate any changes to processes are updated and properly assessed for control gaps. Support process owners through training, reviewing, and providing guidance for their processes.
- Keeping up to date with changes in regulatory guidance, industry best practices, and areas of focus/hot topics for external audits.
- Actively building and managing relationships with Company stakeholders, while promoting the importance of compliance initiatives throughout the organization.
- Facilitate requests between the control owners and the external audit team.
Who you are:
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting or closely related field
- CPA in good standing strongly preferred
- 7+ years of accounting/audit experience
- Industry experience in financial services, fintech, banking, or exchange strongly preferred
- Experience or knowledge with cryptocurrency is strongly preferred
- Experience with SQL query writing a plus
- Knowledge of US GAAP and experience with SOX
- Collaborative, innovative, flexible, and adept at building relationships across the organization
- Ability to handle multiple projects and deliverables in a fast-paced, dynamic environment
- Google Suite and Microsoft Office proficiency
- Microsoft Excel proficiency including pivot tables, H & V-Lookup
- Experience using an ERP system such Netsuite is a plus
- Experience with high volume transactions is a plus
- Familiarity with SOC1 and SOC2 reporting and process preferred
- Audit experience from the Big 4 or national accounting firms is a plus
We’re powered by people from around the world with their own unique backgrounds and experiences. We value all Krakenites and their talents, contributions, and perspectives.
Check out all our open roles at https://www.kraken.com/careers. We’re excited to see what you’re made of.
Learn more about us