Lead Payroll Specialist
Accounting and Finance /
Our mission is to accelerate the adoption of cryptocurrency so that you and the rest of the world can achieve financial freedom and inclusion. In our first decade, Kraken has risen to become one of the largest, most successful and respected crypto exchanges on the planet.
We are changing the way the world thinks about finance and our range of successful products are playing a critical role in the mainstream adoption of crypto assets. We continue to trail-blaze into new territory with the introduction of Kraken Bank, providing a more seamless integration between crypto and the traditional financial system. This makes us the first crypto company (ever) to be awarded a U.S. state banking charter.
Our diverse group of 2,000+ Krakenites are distributed all over the world as part of our 'remote first' culture, united by a shared passion for delighting customers, upholding crypto values and achieving our meaningful mission. We attract people who push themselves to improve, are radically transparent and think differently in order to unlock their potential.
Crypto is a rapidly evolving industry and we’re just getting started. We’re growing fast and you're invited to join the revolution!
About the Role
This is a fully remote role.
Under the direction of the Payroll Manager, the Lead Payroll Specialist will be responsible for providing direction and assistance to the department staff regarding payroll processes which includes biweekly, semi-monthly and monthly payrolls. This role will oversee the work of two or more Payroll Specialist. The Lead Payroll Specialist will be responsible for ensuring payroll transactions are processing timely and accurate manner and in compliance with company policies and procedures.
- Process biweekly, semi-monthly, and monthly payrolls for multiple company locations
- Process off-cycle payroll checks including final payments for multiple company locations
- In absence of Payroll Manager, coordinates workflow to ensure all payroll transactions are processed accurately and in a timely fashion.
- Conducts various payroll audits, reconciliations and troubleshoots for any issues that arise
- Tier 2 level support for payroll ticketing system including escalations to Tier 2 Payroll Specialist
- Review Tier 2 payroll tickets to ensure timely responses, follow up and overall communication aligns with Payroll SLA.
- Must be knowledgeable and be able to assist with payroll tax setup, filing, error correction and maintenance
- Completes quarterly and yearly tax reports audits. Stays current, complies with, and provides interpretations on various rules, regulations, laws, contracts, and policies.
- Ensuring the proper handling of confidential, sensitive, or otherwise protected information
- Trains Payroll Specialist and participates in and coordinates Payroll department training sessions.
- Assist in creating/updating and maintaining Standard Operating Procedures and ensuring policies and procedures are being adhered to
- Partner with Payroll Administrator Lead and HR Operations to identify any inconsistencies or opportunities for improvement
- Flexibility to extend hours as required to meet the business demands
- Provides backup to Payroll Specialist as needed
- Performs other related duties and projects as assigned.
- 7 – 10 years processing payroll larger than 2000 employees
- 1-3 years in payroll supervisory experience preferred
- Able to work effectively with minimal supervision
- Must be a proactive learner
- Must have a passion for providing excellent customer service
- Strong in Microsoft Office applications
- Exceptional multitasking and organizational skills
- Impeccable analytical skills and attention to detail is required
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- FPC or CPP strongly preferred
- Experience with or knowledge of cryptocurrency is a plus
We’re powered by people from around the world with their own unique backgrounds and experiences. We value all Krakenites and their talents, contributions, and perspectives.
Check out all our open roles at https://www.kraken.com/careers. We’re excited to see what you’re made of.
Learn more about us