Associate Commercial Counsel, US
Remote Anywhere /
Legal – Counsel /
Full-time, Onsite or Remote
As one of the largest and most trusted digital asset platforms globally, we are empowering people to experience the life-changing potential of crypto. Trusted by over 8 million consumer and pro traders, institutions, and authorities worldwide - our unique combination of products, services, and global expertise is helping tip the scales towards mass crypto adoption. But we’re only just getting started. We want to be pioneers in crypto and add value to the everyday lives of billions. Now is not the time to sit on the sidelines. Join us to bring crypto to the world.
To ensure Kraken is the right fit for you, please ensure you read Kraken Culture Explained to find out more about us!
Proof of work
Legal has grown rapidly over the past few years at Kraken. We’re one of the world’s largest and most successful crypto exchanges, and that involves a responsibility to lead, advocate, and challenge in the global legal landscape. Among other things, Legal personnel plan and implement for rapidly evolving bodies of law. They contribute to product creation and acquisition strategy. They work with prominent customers and legal bodies worldwide on cutting-edge industry issues and emerging markets. Legal employees at Kraken have entrepreneurial spirits and are always thinking carefully about how to help the business move forward: take calculated risks, be brave at times, but make good choices that fit Kraken’s culture, mission, and spirit. The department is populated with experts in their fields: leaders who help propel Kraken and each other forward.
As a member of Legal, you’ll be part of a growing organization that is building out various playbooks, programs, and processes. Legal is critical to the expansion of Kraken worldwide and to the compliant but challenging progression of Kraken’s mission and interests. To be successful in Legal, you need to be nimble and ownership-oriented: able to work well in a team environment but also to own innovations and get things done in a sometimes lean team. Legal members are also direct communicators, concise/action-oriented, and get things done in reasonably quick timeframes: Kraken is an innovative, fast-paced company. Finally, among other things, our Legal team has a healthy appetite for risk: we need to push boundaries in the crypto industry and advocate for global financial freedom and inclusion. Legal does its part to further this mission.
- Support papering deals of all shapes and sizes across all levels of the organization, from precedent-setting contracts for new lines of business, our largest enterprise SaaS deals and strategic partnerships to one-off freelancer engagements
- Act as a trusted advisor to internal stakeholders in understanding and interpreting proposed and final contract terms (both business and legal)
- Counsel and advise on risks and opportunities
- Develop and update form contracts
- Work and coordinate cross-departmentally with diverse Kraken teams, including: Compliance, Marketing, Finance, Tax, Security, Regional Operations, Business and Corporate Development, as well as with members of Kraken's executive leadership
- Use a highly-regulated and well-resourced environment to your strategic commercial advantage
- Develop strategies for addressing risk in business-centric ways and build commercial processes that allow the business flexibility and freedom to move quickly
Skills you must HODL
- Admission to practice law in the United States
- 3 to 5 years of relevant experience negotiating technology transactions, whether in-house or at a top law firm
- Experience structuring, drafting, and negotiating a variety of commercial and licensing agreements, including technology related agreements, terms of service and privacy policies, banking agreements, partnership agreements, and general commercial contracts
- A proactive, entrepreneurial mindset, plus an opportunity-making attitude, using the law to increase the company’s optionality, not decrease it
- A demonstrated passion for cryptocurrency
Nice to Haves
- 2+ years working with marketing teams (sponsorships, digital marketing, agency agreements, etc.) and/or privacy
Location Tagging: #US
We’re powered by people from around the world with their own unique and diverse experiences. We value all Krakenites and their talents, contributions, and perspectives, regardless of their background. We encourage you to apply for roles where you don't fully meet the listed requirements, especially if you're passionate or knowledgable about crypto!
As an equal opportunity employer we don’t tolerate discrimination or harassment of any kind. Whether that’s based on race, ethnicity, age, gender identity, citizenship, religion, sexual orientation, disability, pregnancy, veteran status or any other protected characteristic as outlined by federal, state or local laws.
Stay in the know