Compliance Officer - Japan
Our mission is to accelerate the adoption of cryptocurrency so that you and the rest of the world can achieve financial freedom and inclusion. Founded in 2011 and with over 4 million clients, Kraken is one of the world's largest, most successful bitcoin exchanges and we're growing faster than ever. Our range of successful products are playing an important role in the mainstream adoption of crypto assets. We attract people who constantly push themselves to think differently and chart exciting new paths in a rapidly growing industry. Kraken is a diverse group of dreamers and doers who see value in being radically transparent. Let's change the way the world thinks about money! Join the revolution!
About the Role
Kraken is expanding our rapidly growing compliance team comprised of talented and motivated individuals. We are looking for an experienced compliance officer to join the team of motivated financial/technology professionals in Tokyo, and be part of the expert global compliance group.
- Take lead for compliance related interaction with the Japan FSA, government authorities, industry associations (JVCEA, etc.), external legal counsel, and financial institutions
- Drive & lead the compliance projects for Japan; coordinating with Japan local compliance staff and subject-matter experts in the global compliance team
- Be the key driver of governance & compliance improvements in process, both for Japan local and global operations
- Preparation and filing of regulatory reporting requirements
- Identify & develop corrective action for potential areas of compliance vulnerability and risk
- Periodically review and revise compliance policies and procedures to ensure they are current and complete (risk ratings, licensing applications, regulatory research & analysis, audit management, corporate governance, etc.)
- Supervise compliance testing and monitoring required by global and local corporate policy
- Supervise compliance training conducted by the compliance team; both local and global (for Japan)
- Oversee the implementation of global compliance (IT) system projects for Japan
- Maximize the utilization of our global compliance team, while coordinating hands-on coverage by local compliance staff where necessary (ad-hoc KYC/AML/CFT, EDD for high-risk customers, financial intelligence, etc.)
- Coordinate with Corporate Compliance to ensure compliance policies are in alignment with both Japanese and corporate expectations
- Assess general compliance risks for all new products and services offered to the Japanese market, and recommend appropriate risk mitigation strategies
- Manage the AML audit process related to Japanese regulators, other regulatory bodies, and banking partners
- Stay abreast of regulatory policies for relevant Japanese agencies – i.e. FSA
- Review responses to all compliance inquiries from Japanese banks, regulators, authorities, etc.
- Review marketing and sales literature, performance presentations, and advertising materials for compliance with applicable laws and regulations
- Language skills - Native in Japanese - Fluent in English
- Bachelors in Law, Finance, Accounting, Business, Economics or related field
- M.B.A., J.D., L.L.M., or other advanced degree is a plus
- Professional certification such as Certified Anti-Money Laundering Specialist (CAMS), are required absent an advanced degree
- 5+ years in a previous compliance managerial position at a banking, trading, or payments institution, preferably in a technology function
- Comprehensive knowledge of the Japanese regulatory environment (e.g. AML/CFT, FATF), including regulations, and other federal regulations
- Familiarity with anti-money laundering and know-your-customer best practices in Japan and other Asia-Pacific markets
- Experience and established relationships in any of the following industries: Banking, Online Payments, Cryptocurrency, Trading, Markets, or Exchanges
- Experience developing policies and implementing procedures that balance compliance and risk versus innovation
- Skilled in collaborating with stakeholders at all levels across technical and non-technical groups
- Ability to lead in a growing company environment with focused and hardworking individuals
- International travel may be required
We’re powered by people from around the world with their own unique backgrounds and experiences. We value all Krakenites and their talents, contributions, and perspectives.
Check out all our open roles at https://jobs.lever.co/kraken. We’re excited to see what you’re made of.
Learn more about us: