Senior Software Engineer
If you're excited about building the future of digital human connection, you've come to the right place. Welcome. 👋
☁️ About Kumospace
At Kumospace, we're reimagining video chat to be as immersive and fun as possible. Our virtual spaces are designed like real spaces to provide context to interactions, helping people discover, build, and deepen relationships.
Since launching a year ago, over a million people have used Kumospace. Our team is fully remote, and we're looking for people who are passionate about using technology to transform how people connect online.
🔥 The Role
As a full stack software engineer at Kumospace, you'll be working on greenfield projects using the best technology for the job to deliver the most delightful experiences for our users. In addition, you will play a major part in deciding what we build and how we build it. This role reports to the Head of Engineering. You will have genuine impact by helping drive the product roadmap and owning the technical design and shipping of features.
The following projects are some examples of projects you could work on. Don’t worry – we understand interests and strengths will vary from person to person and we don’t expect you to be an expert on everything.
💼 The Job
- Kumospace apps. Real life spaces give people something to do while interacting with other people instead of just staring at each other. Shared experiences are core to building human relationships, whether it's listening to music, watching videos, collaborating on whiteboards, or playing games together. We're bringing all of that into Kumospace.
- Room builder. Customization will be our long-term moat. Letting people personalize and own their spaces will be a key differentiator of the Kumospace experience. Sometimes you want to throw a party, and sometimes you want to get some work done. We're building the ultimate creator's tool to allow hosts to drag-and-drop to build their perfect space for each occasion.
- Personal expression. Allowing people to creatively express themselves is a core principle at Kumospace. Whether it's animated emojis, cosmetic additions like hats and pets, or crazy video filters, the future is going to be a lot more fun than just changing your video background.
- Scalable backend. As Kumospace gets more popular, we'll need to manage and orchestrate all the different jobs and processes. Problems include load-balancing between WebSocket servers, post-processing image uploads, and zero-downtime deploys.
⚡ What We're Looking For
- 5+ years experience in software engineering. We want you to hit the ground running when you join.
- Strong sense of product ownership and business impact. It's paramount that you care about the user experience and the impact of what you're building. This is a role where we agree on high level goals, and you'll be trusted to figure out the details. There won't be anyone constantly telling you what to do.
- Eagerness to learn new technologies. Our tech stack currently includes TypeScript, React, WebRTC (Daily), WebGL (Phaser), NodeJS, Google Firebase, and Google App Engine. We don't care if you're currently an expert of these technologies, but we do care that you'll be able learn quickly. Any experience related to video chat or video games are a plus.
Kumospace’s Mission is to Make Everyone Feel at Home on the Internet
Kumospace is a fundamentally inclusive product, born from a fundamentally inclusive team. We are the annoying friends that always shows up bringing more friends to every party. We built Kumospace so that everyone can always participate, and there is never a need or reason to turn folks away at the door. At Kumospace, we believe that the most diverse and inclusive teams build winning products and experiences. As an equal opportunity employer, we do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, religion, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. If you are smart, hardworking, and excited about the future of human connection, we want you to get involved. Let’s do this!