Manager of Support Engineering
San Francisco /
Customer Success /
Labelbox is building software infrastructure for industrial data science teams to do data labeling for the training of neural networks. When we build software we take for granted the existence of collaborative tools to write and debug code. The machine learning workflow has no standard tooling for labeling data, storing it, debugging models and then continually improving model accuracy. Enter Labelbox. Labelbox's vision is to become the default software for data scientists to manage data and train neural networks in the same way that GitHub or text editors are defaults for software engineers.
Labelbox's Support Engineering team is integral to the success of our customers and our business. As Manager of Support Engineering, you will partner with Labelbox's Director of Customer Success to scale a team that delivers a world class support experience. You will leverage your previous support expertise to empower and motivate a growing team. In addition to implementing operational efficiencies to drive strong CSAT and timely resolutions, you will use your leadership skills to coach and mentor your direct reports to help them grow personally and professionally.
The ideal candidate will have previous experience both as an individual contributor and a manager on a support team for a growth stage tech startup. You have excelled on the frontlines of support and have several years of experience managing people.
What you'll do
- Manage the day-to-day operations, goal setting, and performance management of 5-7 Support Engineers
- Collaborate with Director of Customer Success and other managers to outline quarterly OKRs that align with Support and company goals
- Help define, and execute on, a core set of Support KPIs based on business needs and company values
- Analyze conversation volume and team member performance data that informs growth forecasting and hiring
- Identify efforts to scale via improved tooling, more robust documentation, training, and creative support initiatives
- Define performance expectations for your team and help set them up for success
- Coach and mentor your team, finding growth opportunities for them to progress towards their goals and aspirations
- Perform regular 1:1s and twice annual performance reviews to provide feedback and discuss progress of individual growth goals and objectives
- Proactively, and professionally, address change management issues as needed
- Research and identify strategies and process improvements to enhance both the customer experience and the experience of your team
- Influence the direction of Labelbox by participating in cross-functional projects with Sales, Product, Engineering, Design and Marketing
What We Value
- 3-5 years experience as a people manager on a Support team at a growth stage startup
- BA/BS in in a technical field; Computer Science/Engineering degree is a plus
- Proficiency in Python Experience is a big plus
- Experience with Machine Learning is a plus
- An ability to navigate and advise on efforts related to complex customer requests or projects, gathering additional human resources for assistance if needed
- Empathy, patience, phenomenal people skills, and enthusiasm for managing a growing team
- Ability to handle escalations from your team when necessary
- Proven experience hiring, onboarding and training new support hires
- Outstanding organizational skills and ability to multitask to effectively prioritize and manage workflow
- A creative problem solver who isn’t afraid to get their hands dirty
- Ability to quickly pick up a variety of software applications with ease
- Experience with common support software like Intercom, Zendesk, Jira, etc
We believe that AI has the power to transform every aspect of our lives -- from healthcare to agriculture. The exponential impact of artificial intelligence will mean mammograms can happen quickly and cheaply irrespective of the limited number of radiologists there are in the world and growers will know the instant that disease hits their farm without even being there.
At Labelbox, we’re building a platform to accelerate the development of this future. Rather than requiring companies to create their own expensive and incomplete homegrown tools, we’ve created a training data platform that acts as a central hub for humans to interface with AI. When humans have better ways to input and manage data, machines have better ways to learn.