Senior Software Engineer, Perception (Frontend/Fullstack)
United States /
Labelbox is building software infrastructure for industrial data science teams to do data labeling for the training of neural networks. When we build software, we take for granted the existence of collaborative tools to write and debug code. The machine learning workflow has no standard tooling for labeling data, storing it, debugging models and then continually improving model accuracy. Enter Labelbox. Labelbox's vision is to become the default software for data scientists to manage data and train neural networks in the same way that GitHub or text editors are defaults for software engineers.
Current Labelbox customers include American Family Insurance, Lytx, Airbus, Genius Sports, Keeptruckin and more. Labelbox is venture backed by Andreessen Horowitz, Gradient Ventures (Google’s AI-focused venture fund), Kleiner Perkins, and First Round Capital and has been featured in Tech Crunch, Web Summit and Forbes.
We are looking for a Senior Fullstack Engineer, with a Frontend focus to join the Perception Team. The team’s mission is to build the most efficient tool for machine learning and computer vision teams to turn assets into high quality training data. Our customers use what we create to make breakthroughs in their fields and industries, and advance artificial intelligence. We will do this by building a tool that the customer can depend on and enjoy using with problem-focused craftsmanship, rooted in our customers.
Our team specializes in processing all kinds of multimedia assets and developing innovative, reliable, and desirable annotation editors - all through a performant, efficient, and beautifully designed browser interface served to a globally-scaled workforce. As a team, we develop all over the stack and system, but our most critical expertise lies in our experience and proficiency with modern browser and graphics technologies.
Who You Are
- You have 5+ years of hands-on experience building complex, data-rich web applications.
- You have a deep understanding of CS fundamentals, a passion for modern web technologies, and a demonstrated fluency with object-oriented and functional programming languages.
You have experience and interest in at least one of our areas of focus:
- Frontend development with Typescript, React, Redux, RxJS, or similar languages and frameworks
- Backend development with NodeJS, Apollo GraphQL, SQL, Redis, or similar languages and frameworks
- HTML5 Canvas-based image and video editing
- Tiled Imagery and geospatial analysisReal-time collaboration and productivity software
- Browser network protocols and security best practices
- Machine learning principles and data pipeline developmentIn-depth knowledge of multimedia file formats and encoding standards
- Pain-free local development with automated tooling for productivity and reliability; familiarity with Webpack, Docker, Kubernetes is a big plus
What We Value
- You have a track record of delivering complex, cross-functional projects.
- You are able to balance owning and delegating technical design decisions and make tradeoffs to move quickly while producing quality code.
- You care deeply about building a highly reliable and desirable tool for our customers. To do so, you apply a constant and committed approach to learning and growing in your art.
- You believe in applying your craft to practical problems and value having a meaningful impact in an exciting, growing field.
- You thrive in a remote-first environment and can be relied on to strike a balance between focused, individual effort and effective collaboration. You are able to communicate clearly and concisely on technical problems and solutions across a variety of mediums.
- You are excited to be part of a strong culture that promotes inclusive collaboration and fierce trust in each other.
- You deeply value working on such a team and see yourself actively contributing to the culture, practices, and standards of the team.
What You Will Accomplish
- You will push the boundaries of what is possible in a browser, squeezing out every last ounce of performance available to build the world’s most powerful and performant, secure and stable training data platform.
- You will overcome tricky technical challenges and pioneer new uses of web technologies powering the features that enable our customers to make breakthroughs and advance the field of artificial intelligence.
- You will make hands-on contributions and partner with a passionate and talented group of engineers, designers, and product managers to define, scope, and build critically valuable and innovative features in our core product.
- You will develop clean, beautiful code and leave it better than you found it.
- You will shape the future of Labelbox by hiring and recruiting more amazing and talented people and joining with them to promote a culture of technical excellence and constant growth through mentorship and guidance.
We believe that AI has the power to transform every aspect of our lives -- from healthcare to agriculture. The exponential impact of artificial intelligence will mean mammograms can happen quickly and cheaply irrespective of the limited number of radiologists there are in the world and growers will know the instant that disease hits their farm without even being there.
At Labelbox, we’re building a platform to accelerate the development of this future. Rather than requiring companies to create their own expensive and incomplete homegrown tools, we’ve created a training data platform that acts as a central hub for humans to interface with AI. When humans have better ways to input and manage data, machines have better ways to learn.