Senior Back-End Engineer - Ruby (m/w/d)
Berlin, Karlsruhe or Germany /
Product & Engineering – Engineering - Laboperator /
Labforward is a technology start-up developing ground breaking Software-as-a-Service (SaaS) products for laboratories and scientists.
We have three core products: Labfolder - an electronic laboratory notebook that allows scientists to record all their data in one place, Laboperator - a platform to connect and control laboratory devices using IoT technology, and Labregister - the inventory management system of the lab.
Our products are collaborative, easy to use, and make scientific data more reliable. We are building the operating system of the lab, connecting data, devices and researchers. We will never stop innovating to enhance productivity at the bench with technology.
We are looking for a Senior Back Engineer (m/w/d) to accelerate the development of Laboperator and improve its quality in terms of security, performance, and accessibility.
About the job
- You will be a core member of the Laboperator team! While it requires a lot of dedication and ownership, you can also expect to grow in your strengths and help others grow as well
- You will be responsible for developing code solutions to help scientist process and understand real-time data coming from IoT devices and improve their workflows in doing research and development
- You will write clean code with unit and integration tests to validate code changes and improve the reliability and quality of the product
- You will follow agile practices, work as a team and ensure timely delivery
- You will take part in daily standups, planning, mentoring and code reviews
- You will find a lot of interesting technical challenges around security and performance
Our tech stack
- Back-End: Ruby on Rails, PostgreSQL, NodeJS, Redis, RabbitMQ
- Other: GitHub, CircleCI, AWS, Docker, Cypress, JSON Schema, OpenAPI
- At least 5 years of software development experience in a team setup using modern tools (like Jira, Github, CircleCI, AWS, etc.)
- Experienced in scaling Front-End architecture for a evolving application with growing user base
- Understanding of and ability to apply solid software development fundamentals
- Ready to take ownership, work autonomously and mentor the Front-End Team
- Good communicator, not afraid of asking questions and eager to learn from others
- Comfortable working in an international and distributed team (working language is English)
- Full Stack understanding
- Experience with any of the following: Application Performance Monitoring, Security analysis, Accessibility, Material Design, Web Components, End-to-end testing, PWA, code documentation tools
Nice to have:
Come join our passionate team and make a difference for science with us!
The position can be filled in Berlin, Karlsruhe, or remotely in Germany with regular travel to Berlin.
Please apply through the links on the career page of our website (applications received via email will not be considered).
In addition to your CV (in English) and portfolio/online profiles, we prefer to work with focused questions rather than a formal cover letter. Even if you don't tick all the boxes, please tell us:
1. How does this job corresponds to your expectations?
2. What would you bring in the team?
3. What do you think of our products?
You can provide as many details as you wish, and do not worry if you may not know enough about our products - we will be happy to elaborate on that during the initial call!
Please, no recruiters!
About the team
We brought together a diverse team of passionate scientists, technologists and entrepreneurs committed to simplifying the life of laboratory teams and helping them in their quest to bring innovations and discoveries to the world.
Diversity makes us stronger. However different you may be, come as you are, be part of the team and help us become better. Our diversity and inclusion policy is based on respect and communication. We value each team member for their strengths and weaknesses and cherish complementarity. A healthy work-life balance is encouraged and supported. Our offices in Berlin and Karlsruhe are both equipped with an elevator to ensure accessibility for everyone.
Why work at Labforward?
Our products matter - the software we create assists scientists in the laboratory, making their job easier and clearing the path for groundbreaking discoveries.
Our employees matter - Labforward offers the unique opportunity to grow into your role and shape it how you see fit, with flexible hours and remote working policies, a yearly budget for learning, a company pension plan and many more! For a detailed list please visit our career site.
Our culture matters - we are a small and international company: our team is supportive, agile and inclusive, we often run staff social events to strengthen the team dynamic.
Our mission matters - working at a startup means that you will contribute to exciting and innovative projects that are changing the laboratory environment for the better.