Vice President Engineering (m/w/d)
Berlin, Karlsruhe or Germany /
Product & Engineering – Engineering /
Labforward is a technology start-up developing ground breaking Software-as-a-Service (SaaS) products for laboratories and scientists.
We have three core products: Labfolder - an electronic laboratory notebook that allows scientists to record all their data in one place, Laboperator - a platform to connect and control laboratory devices using IoT technology, and Labregister - the inventory management system of the lab.
Our products are collaborative, easy to use, and make scientific data more reliable. We are building the operating system of the lab, connecting data, devices and researchers. We will never stop innovating to enhance productivity at the bench with technology.
Labfolder has just secured series B funding of €8.5 million and therefore is looking for an experienced and dedicated VP of Engineering to help us scale and build an effective engineering organization. If you are excellent in executing, delivering and strategy planning we’d love to hear from you!
About the role:
- Build execution momentum across the organization with a focus on performance and efficiency review of the engineering team
- Continuously improve the skills and expertise of the team, ensure development best practices and a lifelong learning mindset.
- Collaborate with other functions (stakeholders, product, marketing, HR) to align product roadmap with our quarterly and annual objectives.
- Work closely with Talent Acquisition to create hiring plans in line with company roadmap and ad-hoc needs, and represent Labforward on recruiting and employer branding events.
- Understand what quality looks like and be able to identify inefficiencies and improvements to the engineering processes.
- Lead and support our development community through the whole product lifecycle, always having the customer expectations in mind.
- Manage engineering budget and time frames to ensure that the technological resources meet the company’s short and long-term needs
- Grow and mentor direct reports with world-class management support and accelerating their professional development
- Strong champion of modern engineering practices with previous hands-on experience with at least some parts of Labforward’s technology stack
- Demonstrable track record of engineering leadership in high growth environments
- Demonstrable experience in all aspects of people management with proven record of mentoring both individual contributors and engineering managers
- Hands on experience of handling agile teams and developing processes that encouraged engineers to do great work and build amazing products
- Excited by technology and experienced developing scalable, high performance applications with focus on security, testing and CI
- Strong growth and commercial focus, being able to balance long term engineering objectives with the development of the company and translate them into engineering initiatives
- Highly collaborative with excellent stakeholder management and strong verbal, visual, and written communication skills
- Ability to formulate and articulate strategy, business-relevance and to effectively drive delivery of our ambitious goals
- Passion for creating an inspiring team culture where ideas are broadly shared and open communication and feedback are valued
- Experience accelerating growth in a funded startup
- Experience in Product Management and/or Business Analysis
Nice to have:
Our current tech stack:
- Back-End: Java 11, Spring, Hibernate, Ruby on Rails, NodeJS, MySQL, PostgreSQL, Redis, RabbitMQ, REST API, Elasticsearch, AWS S3
- Other: GitHub, CircleCI, AWS, Docker, Kubernetes, Gradle, IntelliJ IDEA, VS Code, Raspbian
Come join our passionate team and make a difference for science with us!
The position can be filled in Berlin, Karlsruhe, or remotely in Germany with regular travel to Berlin.
Please apply through the links on the career page of our website (applications received via email will not be considered).
In addition to your CV (in English) and portfolio/online profiles, we prefer to work with focused questions rather than a formal cover letter. Even if you don't tick all the boxes, please tell us:
1. How does this job corresponds to your expectations?
2. What would you bring in the team?
3. What do you think of our products?
You can provide as many details as you wish, and do not worry if you may not know enough about our products - we will be happy to elaborate on that during the initial call!
Please, no recruiters!
About the team
We brought together a diverse team of passionate scientists, technologists and entrepreneurs committed to simplifying the life of laboratory teams and helping them in their quest to bring innovations and discoveries to the world.
Diversity makes us stronger. However different you may be, come as you are, be part of the team and help us become better. Our diversity and inclusion policy is based on respect and communication. We value each team member for their strengths and weaknesses and cherish complementarity. A healthy work-life balance is encouraged and supported. Our offices in Berlin and Karlsruhe are both equipped with an elevator to ensure accessibility for everyone.
Why work at Labforward?
Our products matter - the software we create assists scientists in the laboratory, making their job easier and clearing the path for groundbreaking discoveries.
Our employees matter - Labforward offers the unique opportunity to grow into your role and shape it how you see fit, with flexible hours and remote working policies, a yearly budget for learning, a company pension plan and many more! For a detailed list please visit our career site.
Our culture matters - we are a small and international company: our team is supportive, agile and inclusive, we often run staff social events to strengthen the team dynamic.
Our mission matters - working at a startup means that you will contribute to exciting and innovative projects that are changing the laboratory environment for the better.