Senior Front-End Engineer
Berlin, Karlsruhe or Germany /
Product & Engineering – Engineering /
Labforward is a technology start-up developing ground breaking Software-as-a-Service (SaaS) products for laboratories and scientists.
We have three core products: Labfolder - an electronic laboratory notebook that allows scientists to record all their data in one place, Laboperator - a platform to connect and control laboratory devices using IoT technology, and Labregister - the inventory management system of the lab.
Our products are collaborative, easy to use, and make scientific data more reliable. We are building the operating system of the lab, connecting data, devices and researchers. We will never stop innovating to enhance productivity at the bench with technology.
Our startup is growing, and we are looking for a Senior Front-End Engineer (m/w/d) to accelerate the development of our products and provide mentorship to other Front-End team members.
About the job:
- Core member of the engineering team focused on understanding our products and customers needs to further develop our Front-End application architecture
- Responsible for full-cycle development - develop code solutions to satisfy requested changes to our software in accordance with our internal coding standards in terms of style, test coverage, readability, and maintainability
- Mentoring other developers on the team in areas such as security, performance, and accessibility
- Improve the maintainability of our code through refactoring, version upgrade and testing to validate code changes and improve the reliability of applications
- Following agile practices, work as a team and ensure timely delivery, therefore you will take part in daily stand-ups, planning sessions and code reviews
Our current tech stack:
- Back-End: Java 11, Spring, Hibernate, MySQL, REST API, Elasticsearch, AWS S3
- Other: GitHub, CircleCI, AWS, Docker, Gradle, IntelliJ IDEA, VS Code
- Experience owning front-end architecture for a production web application with substantial user base
- Previous experience working with Bundling tools (eg. Webpack), End-to-end testing (eg. Cypress, Selenium), HTML5/SCSS, TDD and at least one CI tool (CircleCI, Travis)
- Mentorship mentality - comfortable and effective teacher who can easily translate goals into actions
- Dedicated to continuous improvement with an interest in advancing both the user and developer experience
- Experience with any of the following: Material Design, Web Components, Accessibility, Expert-level CSS, Progressive Web Apps, Application Performance Monitoring tools
- Previous experience leading a small team of engineers
- Understanding of Full Stack or Back-End
Nice to have:
Come join our passionate team and make a difference for science with us!
The position can be filled in Berlin, Karlsruhe, or remotely in Germany with regular travel to Berlin.
Please apply through the links on the career page of our website (applications received via email will not be considered).
In addition to your CV (in English) and portfolio/online profiles, we prefer to work with focused questions rather than a formal cover letter. Even if you don't tick all the boxes, please tell us:
1. How does this job corresponds to your expectations?
2. What would you bring in the team?
3. What do you think of our products?
You can provide as many details as you wish, and do not worry if you may not know enough about our products - we will be happy to elaborate on that during the initial call!
Please, no recruiters!
About the team
We brought together a diverse team of passionate scientists, technologists and entrepreneurs committed to simplifying the life of laboratory teams and helping them in their quest to bring innovations and discoveries to the world.
Diversity makes us stronger. However different you may be, come as you are, be part of the team and help us become better. Our diversity and inclusion policy is based on respect and communication. We value each team member for their strengths and weaknesses and cherish complementarity. A healthy work-life balance is encouraged and supported. Our offices in Berlin and Karlsruhe are both equipped with an elevator to ensure accessibility for everyone.
Why work at Labforward?
Our products matter - the software we create assists scientists in the laboratory, making their job easier and clearing the path for groundbreaking discoveries.
Our employees matter - Labforward offers the unique opportunity to grow into your role and shape it how you see fit, with flexible hours and remote working policies, a yearly budget for learning, a company pension plan and many more! For a detailed list please visit our career site.
Our culture matters - we are a small and international company: our team is supportive, agile and inclusive, we often run staff social events to strengthen the team dynamic.
Our mission matters - working at a startup means that you will contribute to exciting and innovative projects that are changing the laboratory environment for the better.