Evening Computer Science Instructor (Contractor)
Learning – Instruction: Computer Science /
Lambda School is on a mission to pioneer a new model of accessible higher education with no upfront costs and where the school invests in the students instead of the other way around. We are rethinking learning so that we can address the needs of both students and employers in tandem. We’re a progressive alternative to traditional college and fast track bootcamps. Lambda is an intensive program and an immersive live, online curriculum that teaches people the hard and soft skills they need to launch a new tech career. We offer both full time and part time courses to our students.
Lambda has successfully completed funding rounds with premier tier venture investors and we have students in almost every State across the United States. We’re looking for passionate, talented people who want to change the way the world thinks about higher education and unlock human potential, regardless of circumstance.
If that sounds exciting to you, let’s talk. Our success depends on building teams who can challenge each other's assumptions with fresh perspectives. To that end, we don’t just accept differences – we celebrate them. Lambda School welcomes a diverse pool of applicants, including those from historically marginalized groups and non-traditional backgrounds who can appreciate the diverse student communities that we serve and are looking to grow into. This includes women, people with disabilities, people of color, formerly incarcerated people, individuals who are lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, queer and/or gender nonconforming, first and second generation immigrants, veterans, and people from different socioeconomic backgrounds.
This is a highly visible, student-facing role on the Instruction team, reporting directly to the Computer Science Program Manager. As the Evening Computer Science Instructor, you’ll be responsible for delivering the curriculum to students, tracking student progress, and preparing students for the job market.
You must be comfortable suggesting and implementing new ideas that improve the quality and integrity of the school. You understand that there are always new opportunities for improvement and ways to elevate our standards.
What You'll Do:
- Facilitate activities such as lectures, live-coding demonstrations, and Q&A sessions with students 3-4 times a week in our part-time, evening course; class hours M-Th 6-9pm PST; Sat. 9am-12pm CST or PST (~12 hours/week)
- Deliver Computer Science course curriculum that produces job market ready graduates
- Report on student progress and success throughout the course
- Coordinate efforts with the course Team Leads (TLs) to ensure TLs understand the nuances of the course and reporting mechanisms so the TLs can effectively support students’ learning
- Collaborate with other Computer Science instructors, student success team, and labs team as needed
What You'll Need:
- If your highest education is High School Diploma or GED, you are required to have 5+ years of working experience in the Computer Science industry
- If your highest education is a College Degree (proof required), you are required to have 3+ years of working experience in the Computer Science industry
- Experience in teaching
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills; comfortable and compelling in public speaking situations
- Ability to work with a diverse group of individuals
- Self-starting with the ability to effectively work autonomously with little oversight
- Intelligent, dedicated, flexible with a willingness to experiment
Bonus If You:
- Are familiar with Zoom and Slack
- Have an interest in keeping up with the latest in Computer Science/Web Development technology
- Have prior start up experience
The position is a contract position.
Lambda School is an equal opportunity employer that does not discriminate on the basis of actual or perceived race, creed, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, age, physical or mental disability, pregnancy, genetic information, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, familial status, domestic violence victim status, veteran or military status, or any other legally recognized protected basis under federal, state or local laws. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
Lambda School is committed to providing reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities in our job application procedures. Please let us know if you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability.