Director of Engineering
San Francisco Bay Area
Engineering – Engineering
Full Time- Exempt
Lambda School is on a mission to pioneer a new model of accessible higher education with no upfront costs and where the school invests in the students instead of the other way around. We are rethinking learning so that we can address the needs of both students and employers in tandem. We’re a progressive alternative to traditional college and fast track bootcamps. Lambda is an intensive program and an immersive live, online curriculum that teaches people the hard and soft skills they need to launch a new tech career. We offer both full time and part time courses to our students.
Lambda has successfully completed funding rounds with premier tier venture investors and we have students in almost every State across the United States. We’re looking for passionate, talented people who want to change the way the world thinks about higher education and unlock human potential, regardless of circumstance.
If that sounds exciting to you, let’s talk. Our success depends on building teams who can challenge each other's assumptions with fresh perspectives. To that end, we don’t just accept differences – we celebrate them. Lambda School welcomes a diverse pool of applicants, including those from historically marginalized groups and non-traditional backgrounds who can appreciate the diverse student communities that we serve and are looking to grow into. This includes women, people with disabilities, people of color, formerly incarcerated people, individuals who are lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, queer and/or gender nonconforming, first and second generation immigrants, veterans, and people from different socioeconomic backgrounds.
What You Will Do:
- Recruit engineering team members of all levels
- Coach and mentor talented engineers by giving them actionable feedback, setting clear goals, and creating sensible organizational structures
- Help engineering teams have an impact by building new things and improving existing systems/workflows
- Ensure the team’s ability to understand project requirements, build effective technical project roadmaps and plans, and ship high-quality products
- Champion engineering and operational excellence, establishing metrics and process for regular assessment and improvement
What You Will Need:
- 10+ years of experience in roles relevant to software engineering and development
- 5+ years of experience as an engineering manager, particularly in a high-growth environment
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, and a bias toward open, transparent cultural practices
- Extensive experience developing new teams and managers
- Strong technical skills, a willingness to be hands-on and dive in technical details
- Comfortable with leading large cross-functional initiatives, and collaborating with product managers, UX designers, and engineering teams
- Experience with distributed systems and large scale engineering challenges
- Master of Science, Computer Information Systems required
Bonus If You:
- Live/work in the San Francisco Bay Area
- Have experience building software using AWS suite of products
- Have passion and drive to change education for the better
- Have previous experience at a fast paced, high growth stage internet/software company
- Have a non-traditional story. Many of our students have beaten a unique path to their new jobs. We like team members who have done the same.
The position is a full-time, salaried role with medical benefits.
Lambda School is an equal opportunity employer that does not discriminate on the basis of actual or perceived race, creed, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, age, physical or mental disability, pregnancy, genetic information, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, familial status, domestic violence victim status, veteran or military status, or any other legally recognized protected basis under federal, state or local laws. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
Lambda School is committed to providing reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities in our job application procedures. Please let us know if you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability.