VP of People
San Francisco Bay Area
People Team – Human Resources
Lambda School is a combination of a school and an investment fund. Lambda School's mission is to find untapped or underutilized talent, and to train that talent for the most in-demand jobs in the world. Lambda School is pioneering a new model of higher education in which the school invests in the students, instead of the other way around.
Lambda has just successfully completed its Series B fund raising round with premier tier venture investors. We are operating in 40+ states across the US today and eyeing international expansion opportunities.
Lambda School is seeking a VP of People to lead HR efforts across the company. As the VP of People you will be tasked with fostering a culture of collaboration, student obsession, and high performance. As the organization evolves and expands, we’ll look to you to implement programs and practices to create a productive environment for both our current and incoming employees, some which work completely remote and others who work onsite.
We aim to maintain the flexibility associated with start-up culture while weaving in the necessary structure that empowers large organizations to exercise swift action in regards to short-term and long-term objectives.
As the VP of People it’s crucial to develop a lasting trust with the employees and garner enduring respect by the leadership team. As a passionate leader, we’ll look to you to inspire the current HR team -- People Ops and Recruiting.
This role reports to and works closely with the exec team.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Build out the People Team that spans recruiting, Human Resources, and employee experience
- Be the company authority on employment law and implement policies across the organization to assure compliance
- Develop policies and procedures that foster a high performance culture, drive positive impact, and position Lambda as an industry thought leader in company culture and remote work
- Advise and partner with senior leadership on organizational change
- Create compensation frameworks for initial offers and compensation adjustments that balance business needs and employee retention
- Drive performance management and professional development processes
- Design and implement systems to facilitate collaboration among cross-functional teams globally
- Take point on employee immigration matters and partner with outside immigration counsel as needed
Education, Experience, and Skills
- 10+ years of relevant HR experience
- Track record building and leading a high-performing, cross-functional team across recruiting, compensation, business partnerships, learning and development, and administration.
- In-depth exposure across the entire People function, including leadership.
- Proven track record of coaching and influencing for high impact to drive leader effectiveness and business results.
- Professionalism and experience collaborating with legal and finance to ensure compliance and risk management in a growing business.
- High level of integrity, fairness, and consistency in their decision-making to safeguard compliance standards and company values.
- Demonstrated ability to resourcefully innovate and adapt in a rapidly changing ambiguous environment.
- Willingness to be a “player-coach” type leader and “roll-up the sleeves” to get things done.
- Excellent organizational, communication and time management skills.
- Experience with global teams.
- Bachelor’s degree with an HR emphasis and SPHR preferred
Lambda School is an equal opportunity employer, and acts in this capacity without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, or disability.