Data Science Instructor
Learning – Data Science
Full Time- Exempt
Lambda School is on a mission to pioneer a new model of accessible higher education with no upfront costs and where the school invests in the students instead of the other way around. We are rethinking learning so that we can address the needs of both students and employers in tandem. We’re a progressive alternative to traditional college and fast track bootcamps. Lambda is an intensive program and an immersive live, online curriculum that teaches people the hard and soft skills they need to launch a new tech career. We offer both full time and part time courses to our students.
Lambda has successfully completed funding rounds with premier tier venture investors and we have students in almost every State across the United States. We’re looking for passionate, talented people who want to change the way the world thinks about higher education and unlock human potential, regardless of circumstance.
If that sounds exciting to you, let’s talk. Our success depends on building teams who can challenge each other's assumptions with fresh perspectives. To that end, we don’t just accept differences – we celebrate them. Lambda School welcomes a diverse pool of applicants, including those from historically marginalized groups and non-traditional backgrounds who can appreciate the diverse student communities that we serve and are looking to grow into. This includes women, people with disabilities, people of color, formerly incarcerated people, individuals who are lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, queer and/or gender nonconforming, first and second generation immigrants, veterans, and people from different socioeconomic backgrounds.
This is a student-facing role on the Instruction team, reporting into a Program Manager. As a full-time Instructor, you’ll be a core part of our Data Science program, responsible for delivering curriculum, and collaborating cross-functionally with curriculum development and student operations to provide a high-quality experience for our students. Your role in collaboration is as the subject-matter expert, helping steer efforts in a way that aligns with our students mastering Data Science.
What You'll Do:
- Teach guided projects in PST morning hours, working closely with Team Leads and monitoring overall student participation and performance
- Review curriculum with cohort Team Leads (TLs) and Section Leads (SLs) so they can better support students in absorbing the instruction content
- Deliver curriculum that produces job market ready graduates
- Collaborate with curriculum team on the development of Data Science curriculum, providing strong subject-matter expertise to ensure curriculum reflects current and robust Data Science practices
- Coordinate cross functionally across multiple teams to contribute to the goals and initiatives of the Data Science program in conjunction with learning leadership plans and objectives
- Provide strong subject-matter expertise in Data Science, including foundational mathematics/statistics, practical software and data pipeline development, and current techniques such as neural networks and NLP
- Report to the Data Science Program Manager, providing details of status and student performance for the portion of curriculum you are responsible for
What You'll Need:
- If your highest education is High School Diploma or GED, you are required to have 5+ years of working experience in the Data Science industry
- If your highest education is a College Degree (proof required), you are required to have 3+ years of working experience in the technical field
- General Python skills, and experience with the Python Data Science ecosystem (pandas, numpy, scikit-learn, etc.)
- Strong subject-matter expertise in Data Science - being broadly aware of practices, and knowing at least a few subtopics in depth
- Experience in teaching and/or curriculum design
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills; comfortable and compelling in public speaking situations
- Ability to work with a diverse group of individuals
- Self-starting with the ability to effectively work autonomously with little oversight
- Intelligent, dedicated, flexible with a willingness to experiment
- Have an interest in keeping up with the latest information in your field
Bonus If You:
- Have experience with data engineering work at scale in real applications
- Are familiar with Zoom, Slack, or Notion
- Have a well known blog or high traffic Youtube channel focusing on Data Science
- Have presented at or have run local tech meet-ups
- Have prior rapid growth start up experience
Lambda School is an equal opportunity employer that does not discriminate on the basis of actual or perceived race, creed, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, age, physical or mental disability, pregnancy, genetic information, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, familial status, domestic violence victim status, veteran or military status, or any other legally recognized protected basis under federal, state or local laws. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
Lambda School is committed to providing reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities in our job application procedures. Please let us know if you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability.