Data Engineer, Shipping
Palo Alto, CA
AI Fund – Shipping
Dogpatch Shipping is an early-stage startup at the forefront of bringing AI to the maritime shipping industry. This is a trillion dollar industry that moves 90% of the goods we interact with on a daily basis, but has traditionally lagged far behind other industries in adopting new technologies. At Dogpatch Shipping, we’re changing that. We’re building an AI-enabled product that solves the shipping industry’s biggest pain point and we already have some of the world’s biggest shippers as our partners.
We are currently looking for an exceptionally talented Data Engineer to add to our small team. This person will be responsible for leading our Data Engineering efforts in addition to guiding our initial Dev Ops efforts and contributing to the team’s Machine Learning model development.
Since this person will be joining an early-stage startup at the ground level they’ll need to be able to wear multiple hats and thrive while working in a dynamic environment.
- Assess data quality coming from our partners, develop a data quality framework and work with our partners to optimize data quality moving forward
- Architect, develop and optimize ongoing ETL pipelines for that data. These pipelines must be built to support scale
- Help develop and validate complex machine learning models
- Design and implement overall data security strategy for Dogpatch Shipping Mentor/support other technical staff on data modeling and ETL related issues
- Effectively communicate data strategy with a wide range of stakeholders
- Help interview candidates and further build out the team
What You Must Bring:
- Must Haves:
- 3+ years of experience with data warehouse technical architecture
- 3+ years of experience with Python, Spark, ETL/Data engineering, Docker/Kubernetes, automation/devops in AWS
- S3, EC2, EMR, RDS, Redshift, Glue, Lambda, EKS, Sagemaker experience
- Experience setting up security for Redshift, S3, and EC2
- Basic knowledge in machine learning model development
- Entrepreneurial grit - You are ready to roll up your sleeves and willing to be scrappy in order to carry out plans under time and resource constraints
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in computer science or software engineering
- Nice to Haves:
- Experience with data visualization tools such as TableauKnowledge of the shipping industry or experience with logistics products
What We Have to Offer:
- Free snacks, drinks, lunches and dinners daily
- 401(k) plan
- Untracked PTO including a week off between Christmas and New Year’s
- Variety of medical, dental and vision coverage to choose from
- Collegial atmosphere
- Direct and transparent communication styleInnovative environment
- Work with global AI Leaders
- Be part of a great cause to improve lives everywhere through artificial intelligence
This is a full-time position based in Palo Alto, California. You must already have, or be able to obtain, authorization to work in the United States.