Software Engineer Intern
Oakland, CA /
LaunchDarkly is dedicated to helping teams ship better software, faster. We serve hundreds of billions feature flags daily to eliminate risk for companies big and small.
We're based in downtown Oakland and growing quickly. You'll help us tackle some of the most challenging engineering problems around, like how can we deliver feature flags to hundreds of millions of users in milliseconds without breaking the bank.
We're looking for a creative, product-focused engineering intern to work as part of our team summer 2020. This is a unique internship where you will have the full experience of working on a professional software team. No "intern projects" here. Instead, you'll have the chance not just to work on interesting technology, but the chance to learn how to contribute to the team at a high level.
You'll participate in new feature development end-to-end, contributing to our back-end or front-end code. We're looking for someone who thrives on putting new features in front of customers and takes pride in the quality of their work.
The core technologies we use daily include Golang, React, Redux, MongoDB, ElasticSearch, Redis, HAProxy, and Kafka.
What you'll have the opportunity to do:
- Build and expand our APIs and services, written in Go
- Craft user-facing features in our API-driven interface, built with React and Redux
- Write unit, integration, and load tests as necessary
- Monitor and improve both front-end and back-end performance
- Actively participate in code review
You should have:
- Comfort with server-side web development (e.g. in Java / Scala, Ruby, Python, Golang, Node.js)
- Knowledge of RESTful API design
- Experience with modern frontend frameworks and technologies
- Strong communication skills, a positive attitude, and empathy
- You write code that can be easily understood by others, with an eye towards maintainability
- You have a high bar for quality of code and quality of user experience
- Discipline to be a self directed learner
- Experience programming in Go
- Experience with NoSQL databases (MongoDB, ElasticSearch)
- Experience with React / Redux for front-end development
- Previous internship experience OR worked on an individual side engineering application OR substantial contribution in Github preferably on an engineering project
LaunchDarkly is a Feature Management Platform that serves hundreds of billions feature flags daily to help software teams build better software, faster. Feature flagging is an industry standard methodology of wrapping a new or risky section of code or infrastructure change with a flag. Each flag can easily be turned off independent of code deployment (aka "dark launching"). LaunchDarkly has SDKs for all major web and mobile platforms. We are building a diverse team so that we can offer robust products and services. Our team culture is dynamic, friendly, and supportive. Our headquarters are in Oakland.
At LaunchDarkly, we believe in the power of teams. We're building a team that is humble, open, collaborative, respectful and kind. We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.