Spacecraft Structures Engineer
Los Angeles, CA (Hawthorne) /
Launcher develops the world’s most efficient rockets and transfer vehicles to deliver small satellites to orbit. Please visit our careers website to learn more about Launcher's strategy and benefits.
In this role, you will support the ongoing design and advance the development of Launcher Orbiter. Driven by the mission to expand access to space, Launcher Orbiter offers rideshare launch services to tailored orbits that best meet a spacecraft customer’s mission needs. As the Senior Spacecraft Structures Engineer, you will be responsible for the analysis and design guidelines of the vehicle. To be successful in the role, Launcher is looking for an extremely motivated hands-on structural engineer with a background in aerospace, specifically in satellite design and development. In this role, you will be joining a dynamic team in a fast-paced environment.
Please submit an engineering portfolio with relevant projects (including photos) and a cover letter to be considered for the role.
Required Skills and Experience:
- B.S. in structural, mechanical, aerospace, or related engineering fields.
- Ability to guide spacecraft primary structure design for static/dynamic response improvement, ie weight reduction, higher first mode, reduce load amplification.
- Ability to develop spacecraft dynamic models to derive static and dynamic loads at different subsystems or payloads.
- Experience with environmental testing, including test procedure development (accelerometer placement, waivers, …), test execution, and post-test data reduction. Sine-burst, sine vibe and random.
- Experience with Craig-Bampton reduced FEM models in NASTRAN.
- Excellent attention to detail, task planning, oral and written communication skills.
- Strong oral and written communication and organizational skills.
- Ability to derive quasi static loads from test results.
- Provide feedback as an active role reviewing team member on designs.
- Experience with ANSYS and NASTRAN.
- Experience with metallic structures.
Desirable Skills and Experience
- Rideshare program MPE qualification experience.
- Experience with standards SMC-S-16 and GEVS 7000.
- Experience with composites.
- Master’s degree in Mechanical Engineering, Aerospace Engineering, or related technical discipline.
- Highly motivated and self-directed.
- Experience in coupled loads analysis or random response analysis.
- CFD & thermal analysis experience.
As we must adhere to the U.S. Government space technology export regulations, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations, you must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. All applicants must indicate their immigration status on their resume and/or cover letter.
Launcher is an equal opportunity employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.