Senior/Lead Product Designer
Layer is a collaborative and fully extensible data platform which makes data science accessible to companies of all sizes by enabling them to trust, collaborate on, and leverage their data for impactful insights and data driven business logic and decisions.
In order to make data driven decisions, you need to trust your data. And to trust your data, you need SSoT (Single Source of Truth) practice in your data organisation. Implementing this practice is only possible in a collaborative data platform, by building reliable, uniform and reusable/reproducible pipelines.
Layer has an all remote culture as we aspire to work with the best talent, no matter where they live. We firmly believe that exceptional companies can only be built by exceptional people, who are passionate about their work, grounded, achieve more with less, full of grit, challenge themselves and their team relentlessly to do better, and have radical candor. Our team and culture is paramount to all else.
Design is at the forefront of everything we do. You will envision how our users experience Layer. We are on a challenging mission to enable our users to extract actionable insights from complex data. You’ll take on an extremely complex tasks and convert them into accessible, easy-to-use experiences. To achieve this, you will be part of all stages of product development from idea-generation to shipping. You will be in constant communication with all other vertical teams of product development.
Skills needed for this role
- Have passion about designing compelling user experiences that are both engaging and sticky
- Experience in designs for extreme simplicity which makes products usable by anyone
- A collaborative approach to design
- Experience working as a designer in startups
- 5+ years of design experience, with a strong portfolio that you can walk us through
- Ability to create and lead projects - from inception through to delivery
- Flexibility and practicality - know when it’s okay to incur design debt for operational gain, and when it’s not
- Experience designing for data analytics/visualization/processing software.
- Having worked at a B2B product
Highly regarded nice-to-haves:
What we value
- Strong communication skills in this multi-national open environment.
- Skills to work independently and make decisions with minimal supervision.
- Interest in working in a dynamic environment with dynamic objectives.
Technologies we use
- We favor and support open-source.
- Apache Spark is at the core of our platform.
- We use Scala on the core engine, Java/Python/Django/GraphQL on the backend and TypeScript on the frontend (with Blueprint JS as our design toolkit/system).
- Kubernetes & Terraform & AWS are important parts of our stack and deployment model.
What we offer
- All-remote work style, work anywhere. Currently we prefer teammates to be within UTC to UTC+5
- Equity plan
- Highly competitive salary (above-market rates)
- Private medical care