High School Exceptional Education
Greater Nashville Area, TN /
Instructional – All Subjects- High School /
JOB TITLE: Exceptional Education Teacher (SPED) for 2021-2022
REPORTS TO: Principal
Be a LEADer. Teach Exceptional Education at LEAD Public Schools.
Exceptional Education (SPED/ExED) teachers are champions for the cause of equality within the school and make sure that their students’ needs are being met. Our ideal Exceptional Education teacher is passionate about supporting our students with IEPs, loves working with and advocating for students who need the most support, is flexible, is coachable, and wants to grow as a teacher.
The LEAD Environment
Our ExEd teachers work relentlessly with their teammates to ensure that all of their students not only are able to enhance their reading abilities by deciphering texts to inquire about historical events while also gaining a broader understanding of the world, but also meet the established Tennessee standards by the end of the year. This incredible work is done through coaching and support from administration, implementing regular feedback, collaboration with colleagues, data analysis, and working to make sure that students who come in below grade level rise above the challenges they face.
WHAT ARE WE LOOKING FOR:
Successful teachers at LEAD Public Schools are committed to put in the extra effort to ensure that our students have access to a high quality education. Our teachers persevere through difficult challenges, set goals for our students, and don’t give up. We ask our teachers to be flexible, hard-working, and constantly striving to improve their abilities in the classroom to meet our students’ needs. We are looking for Exceptional Education teachers.
- Design and implement data driven lesson plans that help grow and support students who may have cognitive and/or developmental delays
- Develop individualized education programs (IEPs) for students
- Maintains special education files, both paper and electronic files, as directed by federal, state, and local practices.
- Collect data on individual student skills to determine the effectiveness of programming and measure progress toward IEP goals
- Functional Curriculum and daily living focus, as appropriate
- Maximize creating independence across all natural settings
- Work as a team member and advocate for students to gain exposure to general education peers and settings as appropriate
- Plans effective instructional and/or behavioral strategies for adapting and modifying general curriculum to ensure all students access academic content
- Other Functions: Directs and supervises education assistants for the purpose of providing an effective classroom program and addressing the needs of individual students. Supports other classroom teachers for the purpose of assisting them in the implementation of established curriculum and/or individual student plans.
- Our ideal Ex.Ed/SPED teacher is passionate about working with students who need the most support, is flexible, is coachable, and wants to grow as a teacher.
- Experience: Minimum of two years teaching experience preferred, but not required. Previous experience with diverse student populations or in an urban setting preferred
- Physical Demands may include: Light to medium work involving standing, walking, lifting, pushing, carrying, (exerting up to 20 pounds)
- Education/Certification: Bachelor's degree is required. Candidates must have either (a) valid Tennessee teaching license with the appropriate content endorsement to teach SPED or (b) a valid out of state license that can successfully be transferred to Tennessee within 90 days of employment, or (c) demonstrate you are on track to complete the necessary steps towards certification in Tennessee.
- Other Qualifications or Characteristics: Belief in the LEAD mission that all students are capable of success while preparing them for college and for life. Evidence of self-motivation and willingness to be a team player
LEAD Public Schools offers competitive salary and benefits packages commensurate with experience.
LEAD Public Schools is an equal opportunity employer. We seek applicants of diverse background and hire without regard to color, gender, religion, national origin, citizenship, disability, age, sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by law.