Sr. Fitness Editor - Well+Good
New York, NY /
Well+Good – Editorial /
Leaf Group is a house of brands, creating and cultivating digital-first companies in growing lifestyle categories: Fitness & Wellness (Well+Good, Livestrong.com); Home & Decor (Hunker, Society6, Deny Designs), and Art & Design (Saatchi Art, The Other Art Fair). Additionally, we have performance focused brands in key categories such as Travel, Pets, and DIY (OnlyInYourState, Cuteness, eHow). Our media and marketplace brands are authentic and authoritative, reaching a large and growing passionate audience.
We work in a fun, collaborative environment that is diverse, adventurous, and open-minded. We look for proactive, accountable people focused on continuous learning and growth to push themselves and our businesses forward. Check us out here.
WELL+GOOD: Creating a culture and community of wellness.
Trusted, influential, and famously trend-setting, Well+Good defines and demystifies wellness for a growing global community. Well+Good creates a world where wellness is stylish, achievable, and fun—connecting readers with smart, simple (and always fact-checked) ways to add wellness to their lives.
We are looking for a Senior Fitness Editor to help take Well+Good’s fitness content to the next level across all digital platforms.
A big vision calls for a big job. As we grow, our need for a Senior Fitness Editor grows with us. Remote within the US considered. #LI-Remote
A typical day as a Senior Fitness Editor - Well+Good might include:
- Own our fitness coverage end to end, from pitching to assigning to publication
- Edit and publish 2-5 feature stories daily
- Plan the weekly schedule for your section, with an eye for subject mix
- Brainstorm and pitch original story and multi-platform package ideas on fitness topics
- Assign stories to both freelance writers and full-time staff and see that they’re executed in a timely manner
- Recruit talented freelance writers as needed
- Attend events and desksides to gather intel for content creation
- Work in conjunction with the audience development team to develop strategies for the fitness vertical in order to achieve monthly traffic goals
- Work hand-in-hand with the video and social teams for our fitness video ideation, creation, and promotion across platforms (including YouTube, Instagram, TikTok, etc.)
- Keep your finger on the pulse of the fitness space in order to spot new trends before they hit big
- Mentor junior writers and editors, give feedback in a constructive way in order for them to grow
- Support Deputy Editor, Brand Initiatives with the creation of larger fitness initiatives and subscription products
- Fitness certification a plus
- On-camera experience a plus
What You Have:
- 5-8 years editorial experience
- Meticulous editing skills—the ability to edit for grammar, voice, and flow
- Superior editorial judgment: You know which stories *need* to be covered (and how to do so in a new, interesting way) and which can be skipped
- Strong writing skills
- Strong wellness and lifestyle industry contacts
- Ability to prioritize and manage your time
- Ability to use Google Analytics, or similar data platforms, and extract actionable insights from data
- Knowledge of SEO best practices
- Interest in other digital platforms (video, audio, social media) is necessary; experience in these areas is a plus
- A passion for high-quality digital content
- Excellent verbal and written communication
- Not afraid to wear multiple hats—no job being too small or too large
- We're casual and informal but we work hard and work responsibly. Personal accountability goes a long way. We believe we are the change.
You’ll be successful if you are passionate about outstanding content, great ideas, and helping the entire team reach its full potential. You are responsible for assigning and top-editing all stories within the exercise category. A thought-leader in the space, you have an eye for spotting trends and finding fresh ways to think about them—always with a wellness spin. This is a fast-paced position, and will require you to prioritize your tasks in order to see them executed in a timely way. While this is primarily an editing role, you’ll be expected to write feature, news, and SEO stories when needed.
What We Have:
Leaf Group is among the 2022 & 2019 Built In LA Best Places To Work
Among Comparably's 2021 Best Companies for Company Culture, Company Perks & Benefits, Company Compensation, Best CEO for Diversity, and Best CEO for Women
eHow is the 2019 & 2020 People's Choice and official Webby Winner for Social Video/How To-DIY
OnlyInYourState is ranked the #3 Travel and Information Site (ComScore)
Well+Good is the 2019 People's Choice winner of the Webby’s Award for Best Lifestyle Brand
Leaf Group is among TalentDesk’s 2019 Best Companies To Work For
Well+Good is the 2018 winner of Fast Company’s Most Innovative Company AwardMyPlate is the 2018 winner of the Webby Award for Best Design
Winner of the 2017 Best Company for Diversity award Comparably
Competitive compensation and benefits packages (i.e., Medical, Dental, Vision, FSA, 401K)
Gender neutral family leave
Paid-to-play vacation rewards
Discretionary unlimited vacation time
Employee discounts for Saatchi Art, Society6, and Deny Designs
Step 1: A video/phone call with a member from our Hiring Team. In this call, we will cover the basics of the role and our company, and discuss a high level overview of your past experiences, goals, and interest in this role.
Step 2: A call with your potential manager or someone from the hiring team to dive deeper into your experiences and goals.
Step 3: A short assessment to help us see your skill sets as they relate to the role we have. We will review this in Step 1.
Step 4: Depending on the role, interviews with key stakeholders from the role (could be 1 or up to 3) who will dive further into the role with you and answer any questions you may have.
Leaf Group is a diverse, equitable, and inclusive workplace that reflects our customers and the world we live in. We encourage people from all backgrounds, ages, abilities, and experiences to apply for our roles. Leaf Group is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate based on race, color, ancestry, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital or family status, disability, gender, gender identity or expression, pregnancy or caregiver status, veteran status, or any other legally protected status.
Agency Disclosure: If the Leaf Group Talent Acquisition department, or any current company employee, receives an unsolicited resume from a third party recruiting agency and Leaf Group does not have a signed Agency Agreement active, Leaf Group will not be deemed liable to pay a placement fee. The unsolicited resume will be considered a gift and can be considered for our recruitment efforts.