Data Operations Engineer (Remote)
Data Science /
Full-time - remote
We are Leaf
Leaf is on a mission to upend the way companies buy and sell transportation. Every year, billions of dollars, hundreds of megatons of carbon and millions of person-hours are wasted because the companies who ship goods and the companies who carry them aren’t upfront about their needs and abilities. Our platform finds ways for buyers and sellers to contract binding commitments for plannable and predictable freight and allows those contracts to be traded when needs change. In time, Leaf will become the hub through which the trillion-dollar American freight market is managed.
We are a team of experienced, smart, and mildly disagreeable troublemakers who like taking on unreasonably big challenges; we know how to build things, we’ve lived what’s broken in this industry, and we’re looking for bright, ambitious people to help us drag the transportation world kicking and screaming into the 21st century.
What does a Data Operations (DataOps) Engineer do at Leaf?
As a DataOps Engineer, you will work cross-functionally to ensure continuous access to clean, accurate, and usable data through the company, and to bridge the data gaps between Leaf's technical, operational, and customer-facing teams. This is a highly interdisciplinary role that combines aspects of data science, data engineering, UI/UX design, business consulting, and project management.
As a DataOps Engineer, you....
- Monitor Leaf's internal analytics software and data pipelines for quality and accuracy
- Develop automated data validation and testing tools to proactively identify and resolve issues before they reach end users
- Build, audit, and tune SQL queries, reports, and dashboards
- Optimize Leaf's database architecture to support a range of business applications and analytics use cases
- Design and implement processes for data ingestion, ETL, reporting, and governance
- Manage data integrations between Leaf and various external sources
Who makes a DatOps Engineer?
- Bachelor's degree or higher (or equivalent experience) in a highly analytical and detail-oriented field such as computer science, engineering, economics, or law
- Excellent command of Python, clean code principles, and the Python data ecosystem (Pandas, Jupyter, etc.)
- Intermediate to advanced SQL skills, and familiarity with NoSQL systems
- Working knowledge of RESTful web services and backend API development
- Comfortable with Git and other standard Unix command-line tools
- Strong basic statistical literacy and the ability to translate those concepts into simple terms
- Demonstrated ability to work independently while managing competing priorities in a startup or similar fast-paced environment
- Nice-to-haves: Prior experience in the logistics industry, familiarity with electronic data interchange (EDI) protocols, working knowledge of frontend development, experience with (or interest in learning) a strongly typed modern programming language such as Rust
Cash compensation range: $140,000-$160,000 USD annually.
The cash compensation above reflects the annual base salary. In addition to base salary, our total cash compensation may include additional compensation for employees in eligible roles. All Leaf employees are also eligible to participate in Leaf’s equity plan to receive Incentive Stock Options (ISOs). Individual compensation packages are based on a few different factors unique to each candidate, including their skills, experience, qualifications, and other job-related reasons.
We know that benefits are also an important piece of your total compensation package. We offer the following benefits:
● Equity: Incentive Stock Options
● Medical, dental, and vision insurance options at low group rates
● 16 company observed US holidays in 2023 plus unlimited PTO
● 401K plan
● Up to 12 weeks of fully-paid parental leave after 6 months of employment
● Stipend toward home office necessities and monthly phone bill or internet
Leaf Logistics is an equal-opportunity employer and we welcome applicants from all backgrounds. If you’re a passionate team player who wants to have an outsized impact on a diverse and dynamic team, we’d love to hear from you!