Senior Backend Engineer
California ∙ Remote /
At Lean, we're building financial products tailor-made for the flex workforce. We believe financial stability is transformational, and we all win by providing this valuable benefit. We are live in market, revenue positive and rolling out to hundreds of thousands of workers with a clear path to $10M+ in revenue.
Our team includes a diverse group of incredible talent, including a founding team of seasoned fintech execs. We are backed by top VCs and angels including Inspired Capital, Atelier Ventures, Acequia Capital, Oceans Ventures, alongside founders and executives from Instacart, Uber, DoorDash, Postmates, Bird, Coinbase, and Stripe.
As a Senior Backend Engineer, you will build and ship our first products to enterprises and consumers. You take pride in building everything from developer APIs to architecting the backend for new product features. You are detail-oriented and relentless about the quality of the code base and write tests to prove that your code works and will continue to work in the future. You support, mentor, and empower team members cross-functionally. You care about the customer experience above all. If you like going from zero to one and are interested in solving challenging problems we want to hear from you!
- Be actively involved in strategic direction and product decisions and iterate rapidly on features, tooling, and processes as we launch the first versions of new products
- Design, build, and maintain the backend and APIs that power our user and partner facing experiences
- Help set the technical bar for our backend systems
- Engineer solutions across systems such as core payments infrastructure, data pipelines, banking and accounting systems, and more
- Debug production issues across services at multiple levels of the stack
- Lead and mentor other developers on your team to improve our collective knowledge and establish best practices
- Have 5+ years of professional software development experience, and a track record of building impactful products and systems
- Strong understanding of and experience in automated unit and functional testing
- Experience building and maintaining applications in Node.js is preferred
- Previous experience working with financial systems is preferred
- Curiosity to drill into complex issues and solve problems with a cross-functional team
- Think of yourself as entrepreneurial and enjoy moving quickly on new 0 to 1 products
- Are comfortable with goals that are ambiguous, and can help drive them towards clarity
- Competitive compensation (base salary + option grants)
- Medical, dental & vision insurance
- 401K with company match
- Unlimited paid time off
- Work from home reimbursement
- Remote first culture with WeWork access
- Company offsites across the US
Not sure you meet all our qualifications? Please apply anyway, we'll consider everyone that applies.