Strategic Business Development Manager - ERCOT (Remote)
Houston, TX /
Business Development /
Leap’s mission is to combat climate change by enabling a reliable electric grid that runs on clean energy. The electric grid is transforming from dirty (but predictable) fossil fuels to clean (but less predictable) renewable energy. To do so, the grid needs more flexible demand and supply to help maintain stability and reliability.
Leap plays a crucial role in opening up wholesale energy markets to all distributed energy resources, enabling our partners to get paid for providing flexibility to the grid.
Leap is a privately-held tech company with funding from top VCs and well-known energy entrepreneurs. Our core operations are in the San Francisco Bay Area and Utrecht (NL), but we are a distributed workplace with teammates based in Atlanta, Boston, Boulder, Chicago, Maui, and Washington, DC.
Who are we looking for?
We’re seeking a creative and driven individual to lead the expansion of Leap's business in Texas. The right candidate will bring a strong network and knowledge of the Texas energy market, leveraging those skills to develop partnerships and deliver innovative energy solutions to our customers. This is a highly strategic role that involves working with the most dynamic and interesting companies in energy to help deliver a cleaner and more reliable electrical grid.
You may be a fit for this role if you:
- Have 7+ years of experience in energy trading, business development, or corporate development working in ERCOT
- Love to build new relationships and close deals that benefit both your company and your partner
- Are adept at navigating external organizations, identifying the right stakeholders and decision makers, unblocking items when they are stuck and managing through persuasion and data-driven analysis
- Are passionate about developing new solutions to increase grid flexibility
- Appreciate an open discussion with colleagues and customers
- Enjoy working collaboratively in a team with a diverse group of amazingly talented and fun people, but you are also perfectly capable of working independently
What you will be working on:
- Leveraging your network and market knowledge to grow Leap’s business in Texas, with a focus on building and managing relationships with retail energy providers and utilities
- Structuring and negotiating new partnerships with load serving entities
- Building relationships with new commercial partners in highly dynamic market segments such as EV charging, energy storage, smart buildings and devices
- Working with existing commercial partners to increase their client base in Texas
- Tracking and reporting on opportunities within Leap’s CRM
- Collaborating with our product, market operations and market development teams to inform the development of new products and services
What’s it like to work at Leap?
Product: At our core we are a tech company. We love technical challenges and build things that we are proud of and would like to use ourselves. Everyone is highly involved in building and designing our products, making them extremely valuable and a pleasure to use.
Purpose: Some of us worked in energy before, some of us haven’t. All of us would like to make a difference and do our part in helping the world move towards a more resilient grid run on renewable energy.
Fun: We work hard, but enjoy our time at work as well as outside of work. With the team spread out over multiple time zones we also embraced flexibility early on, and are focused on results instead of time spent in the office.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.