Director of Finance
Remote, North America /
Finance & Accounting /
Leap’s mission is to combat climate change by enabling a reliable electric grid that runs on clean energy. The electric grid is transforming from dirty (but predictable) fossil fuels to clean (but less predictable) renewable energy. To do so, the grid needs more flexible demand and supply to help maintain stability and reliability.
Leap plays a crucial role in opening up wholesale energy markets to all distributed energy resources, enabling our partners to get paid for providing flexibility to the grid.
Leap is a privately-held tech company with funding from top VCs and well-known energy entrepreneurs. Our core operations are in the San Francisco Bay Area and Utrecht (NL), but we are a distributed workplace with teammates based in Atlanta, Boston, Boulder, Chicago, Maui, and Washington, DC.
At Leap, we believe in cross-functional collaboration, creative thinking to solve complex problems, and job enrichment. We are a mission-driven organization. Not only will your impact be felt within the day-to-day operations; together, we have the ability to make the world more sustainable and greener.
We are seeking a Director of Finance to spearhead our finance efforts, collaborating closely with our leadership and global team members to decarbonize the world’s electric grids. This role reports directly to the CEO.
Here’s what we hope you bring:
- Track record of providing financial direction and leadership including corporate finance, accounting, and financial analysis and forecasting
- Ability to translate financial forecasts and results into succinct summaries for report-outs while maintaining insight into the details
- Enthusiasm for scaling an organization and building out the processes and teams to enable rapid growth
- Interest in working collaboratively with a diverse team of amazingly talented and fun people in a fast-paced startup environment
- Ability to cultivate a positive company culture that values cross-team collaboration, transparency, and trust
- Dedication to building a diverse and inclusive culture within teams
- Knowledge of the energy industry, particularly energy markets, is a plus but not required
In this role you will:
- Drive financial forecasting and communicate how changes to strategy and operations will impact the company’s financial forecast and health. Oversee all aspects of accounting operations through month-end close and financial reporting and related analyses.
- Develop financial models and analyses to support strategic, operational, and growth initiatives and influence business decisions made by leadership via in-depth analysis.
- Collaborate with leadership to drive Leap’s financial strategy, including managing debt facilities and collaborating on special projects such as a financing vehicle.
- Prepare quarterly and annual reporting for our investors and board.
- Identify and manage financial risks and ensure compliance with financial laws and guidelines.
- Build and manage a high-performing finance team, providing coaching and development for future direct reports.
- Collaborate with internal teams and with external consultants and auditors as needed.
- Collaborate with People Success and/or Chief of Staff on benefits renewal, financial models, compensation modeling/ forecasting, and special projects.
What’s it like to work at Leap?
Product: At our core we are a tech company. We love technical challenges and build things that we are proud of and would like to use ourselves. Everyone is highly involved in building and designing our products, making them extremely valuable and a pleasure to use.
Purpose: Some of us worked in energy before, some of us haven’t. All of us would like to make a difference and do our part in helping the world move towards a more resilient grid run on renewable energy.
Fun: We work hard, but enjoy our time at work as well as outside of work. With the team spread out over multiple time zones we also embraced flexibility early on, and are focused on results instead of time spent in the office.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.