San Francisco Bay Area
Learn Capital is seeking a self-motivated analyst to work in its San Mateo office. The analyst will gain significant exposure to venture capital and education technology globally and will spearhead a diverse range of strategic projects throughout the investment lifecycle (sourcing, diligence, execution, and portfolio support). The analyst will also glean significant knowledge, experience, and connections across the education technology and venture capital industries and will establish a strong foundation for a future career as an education technology operator or venture capital investor. This role is ideal for a professional with a flair for producing polished, well-designed deliverables and comfortable with taking initiative, often amidst significant project ambiguity.
Responsibilities will include:
- Produce polished, well-designed investment and portfolio support deliverables (i.e., investment memos, conference presentations, portfolio company presentations, etc.)
- Conduct market and competitive research and help draft and publish thought leadership
- Screen new investment opportunities and conduct in-depth due diligence (i.e., market sizing exercises, financial statement analyses, reference checks, etc.)
- Maintain internal portfolio database of all our investments and interesting companies in the edtech sector
- Conduct qualitative and quantitative analyses for strategic planning and deal evaluation efforts for investments
- Monitor, research, and develop intelligence on emerging trends and disruptive companies relevant to the edtech ecosystem
- Complete additional ad-hoc portfolio support mini-projects as they arise
- Represent Learn Capital at conferences and other public/ecosystem engagements
Ideal candidates should posses:
- Impeccable writing skills (i.e., previous editor for your High School or University newspaper)
- Exceptional presentation and deliverable design abilities (i.e., prior graphic design or strategic consulting experience)
- Superior analytical skills and comfort with processing common company deliverables (i.e., pitch presentations, financial statements, engagement metrics, etc.)
- A veritable self-starter who can seamlessly operate in a high-autonomy environment, along with a preference for working in a small team environment
- Excellent financial and analytical skills, as well as the ability to think critically and creatively
- An inquisitive personality, able to gather and synthesize information, and draw meaningful conclusions
- High level of energy, enthusiasm, and commitment to success (i.e., you follow through on your projects)
- At least 2 years work experience at a technology company, startup, management consulting, investment banking, or private equity firm
Prompt: In addition to your application, please also send us a one page essay describing the potential inter-relationship between technology-driven disruption and effective education. [500 words max].
About Learn Capital: Learn Capital is a venture capital firm dedicated to the global education technology industry, investing in early-stage companies involved in the creation, delivery, management, and scaling of learning experiences and educational access for students of all ages worldwide. Since launching its inaugural fund in 2009, Learn has backed companies that have achieved leadership positions in multiple high-growth education markets, including Bridge International Academies, Edmodo, Coursera, General Assembly, Udemy, and VIPKID.