Year On Community Coordinator
San Francisco Bay Area
Portfolio Companies – Year On
As a Community Coordinator, you will live in the Year On dormitory and act as part Resident Assistant, Student Life Coordinator, Community Manager, Event Planner, and Mentor/Advisor for the 10-week Focus phase of our Semester Experience program. You will interact with students every day, whether that’s passing them in the hallway, chatting with them in the lounge, throwing a community dinner, leading evening discussions and activities, or taking them on an outing in the city. Students will come to you as their confidant, advisor, and advocate.
Our Community Coordinators have been around the block and have a couple years of “adult” life experience under their belt, but are still able to empathize with 18-23 year olds. They enjoy hanging out and having fun with lots of different types of people, and are naturally good communicators, knowing when to talk and when to listen. They are problem solvers and conflict resolvers, from providing directions to the best burrito in SF to mediating fellow disagreements and addressing more serious problems should they arise. They love to organize events and get-togethers; they are creative and enjoy connecting people and facilitating fun. They’ve got the ideas, but also the skills and resources to follow through and execute them.
About Year On
- Year On is on a mission to support high school graduates learn about themselves so they are better prepared for college and beyond. We use our coaching methodology to meet students where they are so they can identify what interests them in a proactive way. Our graduates talk about how this program changed their lives, leaving them better prepared for what is ahead, even if they don’t have all of the answers. If you’re someone who looks back and thinks, “I really wish I took some time to think about who I was before I jumped into college/work/life,” this is a unique opportunity to contribute to a team that is building a program to support students gain confidence, clarity, and direction for their next steps.
- Self-starter who works well independently and as part of a team
- Passionate about education and empowering young adults to realize their potential
- Easily and quickly builds credibility and rapport with young adults
- Knows how to create a safe and welcoming environment in 1:1 and group settings
- Knows how to create authentic relationships while maintaining professional boundaries
- Fast learner who is highly motivated to work efficiently and adapt quickly
- Organized, enthusiastic, efficient, and responsible personality
- Open-minded and values community, diversity, and inclusion
- Willingness to jump in wherever and wear multiple hats when needed
- Startup experience and/or entrepreneurial mindset
- Create a positive atmosphere, environment, and experience in the dorm for the students and the cohort as a whole
- Plan, organize, and facilitate community events in the dorm and around the city
- Manage a student activity calendar and budget
- Collaborate with the program team and coaches to deliver a cohesive experience
- Effectively communicate with students, program team, housing administration, and UnCollege management
- Proactively identify sensitive student issues; know how to de-escalate such issues, and how and when to escalate problems and to whom
- Own an individual project at UnCollege for the duration of Launch, such as managing social media, collecting/creating content, leading an evening Adulting 101 series, etc.
- Have your own projects that you’re pursuing, whether that is a grad school degree, new business venture, or perfecting a new chili recipe
- Must be 25 years or older
- Must be able to work legally in the U.S.
- 3+ years experience working with young adults from diverse communities and backgrounds
- 2+ years experience working in a student/residential life or community role
- Demonstrated experience in team building and/or culture creation
- Demonstrated experience in event planning and budget management
- Acute attention to detail and superb organizational skills
- Ability to manage multiple tasks and priorities at once
- Monthly stipend of $1,500/month
- Single room in our student dormitory (must live in the dorm for the duration of the contract)
- Workspace at our office in Galvanize SF
- Lunch on weekdays
- Opportunity to participate in workshops and curriculum
- Dates: September 26, 2018 - December 18, 2018*
- Location: San Francisco, CA
- Commitment: 25-30 hours per week typically on weekday evenings and weekends
*Opportunity to extend the contract for the Focus phase of the Year Experience from January 9, 2019 - March 26, 2019 based on performance and program needs.
How We Work
- We are a group of hard-working, fun-loving people who take our jobs seriously but like to laugh along the way. We are passionate about empowering young adults with the skills and know-how to succeed in the real world. Our students inspire us every day and fuel the work that we do. We are open-minded and open-hearted. We value community, diversity, and inclusion. We live the same values as we teach our students: growth mindset, bias towards action, goal setting, and accountability. We like kind jokes with a side of sarcasm. We are open to feedback and self-improvement. We continually challenge ourselves to become better as individuals, colleagues, and a team.
How To Apply
- Submit your resume and a cover letter to email@example.com with “Community Coordinator Application” as the subject line.
Year On is a Learn Capital portfolio company. Learn Capital is a venture capital firm dedicated to education technology companies. We invest in and support early-stage ventures involved in the creation, delivery, management and scaling of learning experiences and educational access for students of all ages worldwide. Since launching its inaugural fund in 2009, the firm has backed startups that have achieved leadership positions in multiple high growth education markets. We aim to transform the way the world learns by helping entrepreneurs with a vision for better and smarter learning.