Year On International Community Coordinator
Portfolio Companies – Year On
The International Community Coordinator is responsible for ensuring the safety of fellows while abroad, acting as a community liaison between local volunteer partners and Year On’s HQ in San Francisco, and facilitating experiential and educational activities for fellows. This position requires a sensitivity to cross-cultural communication, the ability to assess risk, and a commitment to acting as a role model and mentor to young adults.
We work closely with local volunteer partners to handle the logistical side of volunteer placements. It will be your role to ensure that the fellows are engaged in their experience while abroad — asking informed questions, reflecting on local cultural values, digging deeper into their own values, applying themselves fully in their projects, and taking the stance as a student of their experiences. You will develop both general and country-specific experiential based discussion and activities that foster critical thinking and responsible travel.
Fellows are largely independent during this phase, so while you will be leading weekly activities and supporting fellows with clinic visits and other needs, you will also have time to join a volunteer project or to work on other personal projects. We will also ask you to work on other Year On projects, such as documenting fellows’ experiences, writing blogs, and other content related projects.
About Year On
- Year On is on a mission to support high school graduates learn about themselves so they are better prepared for college and beyond. We use our coaching methodology to meet students where they are so they can identify what interests them in a proactive way. Our graduates talk about how this program changed their lives, leaving them better prepared for what is ahead, even if they don’t have all of the answers.
- If you’re someone who looks back and thinks, “I really wish I took some time to think about who I was before I jumped into college/work/life,” this is a unique opportunity to contribute to a team that is building a program to support students gain confidence, clarity, and direction for their next steps.
- Dharamshala, India
- Bali, Indonesia
- Mérida, Mexico
- Huanchaco, Peru
- Moshi, Tanzania
- Passionate about cross-cultural relationship building
- Passionate about promoting responsible travel and experiential learning
- Strong background in mentorship; ability to connect with young adults while holding clear boundaries
- Experience in risk management in an international setting
- Flexible and resourceful in new or changing environments
- Enjoys being a resource for others
- Strong problem-solving skills
- Seasoned traveler
- Demonstrated commitment to own continued learning and personal growth
- Proficiency in the language of the region for which you are applying is strongly preferred
- Photography, videography, content creation, strong writing skills, etc.
- Act as a resource for fellows about local culture and community
- Act as a liaison between fellows, volunteer partners, and Year On HQ
- Inform fellows of potential risks when traveling, be informed about their whereabouts, monitor their health and support them in navigating local health resources, respond to any emergencies, communicate with Year On HQ
- Facilitate group dynamics by planning and facilitating community activities, mediating conflicts, and fostering an inclusive community
- Facilitate educational experiences and discussions that promote cross-cultural understanding and challenge fellows to engage in the philosophy of self-directed learning
- Provide 1:1 check-ins with fellows to support them in linking their experiences abroad to their personal growth and goals in their volunteer projects and beyond
- Plan events and experiences that encourage fellows to immerse themselves in the local culture
- Take on supplementary projects such as program documentation, content collection, blogging, etc.
- Must be 25 years or older
- Must be able to work legally in the U.S.
- 2+ years experience working with youth ages 18-23
- 2+ years professional experience of facilitating groups, preferably for young adults
- Experience living or traveling independently abroad, preferably in the location for which you are applying
- Effective communication skills
- Must be willing to be available to fellows 24 hours a day, 7 days a week for the duration of their time abroad
- Current First Aid certification before the start of the program (Year On can provide this training if needed)
- Weekly stipend of $350/week
- Airfare to and from Explore location
- Passport and visa support
- Airport pick up and drop off
- Room and board provided by volunteer partners
- Ability to participate in local volunteer projects
- International health insurance while abroad
- Dates: September 26, 2018 - December 16, 2018*
- Location: Online/San Francisco for training + in one of our Explore locations
- Commitment: 15-20 hours per week with the ability to be on call 24/7 for emergencies
*These dates include training and the 10-week Explore phase of our Year Experience program. You must be able to commit to being available for the full 12 weeks.
How We Work:
- We are a group of hard-working, fun-loving people who take our jobs seriously but like to laugh along the way. We are passionate about empowering young adults with the skills and know-how to succeed in the real world. Our students inspire us every day and fuel the work that we do.
- We are open-minded and open-hearted. We value community, diversity, and inclusion. We live the same values as we teach our students: growth mindset, bias towards action, goal setting, and accountability. We like kind jokes with a side of sarcasm. We are open to feedback and self-improvement. We continually challenge ourselves to become better as individuals, colleagues, and a team.
How To Apply:
- Submit your resume and a cover letter to email@example.com with “International Community Coordinator Application” as the subject line. Please include the following information:
- Your location preference
- Your language abilities in that area
- Your ability to commit for the full 12 weeks as stated above
Year On is a Learn Capital portfolio company. Learn Capital is a venture capital firm dedicated to education technology companies. We invest in and support early-stage ventures involved in the creation, delivery, management and scaling of learning experiences and educational access for students of all ages worldwide. Since launching its inaugural fund in 2009, the firm has backed startups that have achieved leadership positions in multiple high growth education markets. We aim to transform the way the world learns by helping entrepreneurs with a vision for better and smarter learning.