Varsity Tutors - Senior Software Engineer
Portfolio Companies – Varsity Tutors
We are looking for talented Senior Software Engineers to help with our ongoing growth and expansion. Varsity Tutors is a live learning platform that connects students and professionals with personalized instruction to achieve any goal. To date, students have accessed more than three million hours of live instruction on the platform. Tutors are available to meet in person or through the company’s award-winning online and mobile platforms, which account for the majority of all sessions.
Varsity Tutors recently closed a $50M Series C funding round, bringing its total funding to $107M. The round was led by Learn Capital, with participation from The Chan Zuckerberg Initiative and existing investor TCV. The funds will enable Varsity Tutors to foster its vision of seamlessly connecting experts and learners in any subject, anywhere, at any time.
We're a DevOps shop where we take pride in the quality of our code, our processes, and our services. We have a complete CI/CD software lifecycle and an evolving services oriented architecture hosted in AWS. We operate in a highly collaborative environment with Product and Design to build experiences that matter to our customers. At Varsity Tutors, you would not just write code, but you actively participate in the conversation on what and how to build the systems and creative solutions. We encourage creativity and finding innovative ways to deploy cutting edge technology and foster a culture of teamwork, experimentation and growth. If you love your customers as much as we do, we'd love to hear from you.
- 5+ years coding experience
- 3+ years experience with Ruby on Rails or similar web frameworks (e.g. Django)
- 3+ years experience with highly concurrent languages such as GoLang, Erlang or Scala
- Experience with deployment systems (e.g. CodeShip, AWS CodeDeploy)
- Familiarity with AWS Services (e.g. RDS, Kinesis, EC2, et cetera)
- Familiarity with the Linux Operating System and command-line tools
- Understanding of OO design, algorithms, and data structures
- Aptitude to quickly learn new languages and technologies as necessary
- Computer Science or related degree
- This employer participates in E-Verify and will provide the federal government with your Form I-9 information to show you are authorized to work in the U.S.
- A background check is required as a condition of employment.
- Write performant, maintainable code that is easy to read and well-documented
- Write automated tests to validate the correctness of your code
- Deploy large-scale web applications
- Have a focus on quality, and operate iteratively to get from good to better
- Be a part of your team’s on-call rotation; we all own our code end-to-end from development to deployment to operations
- Work independently and collaboratively in a dynamic and fast-moving team
- Highly motivated to learn new things
- Be effective in a team environment working with fellow engineers, product management, and design (INDHP)
Who You Are
- You are passionate about teaching and learning, always growing your personal skills and mentoring our junior engineers
- You keep the customer in mind, designing systems to deliver the best experiences for our clients
- You Demonstrate intellectual curiosity - Actively seeks out new ideas, new ways of thinking, and diverse opinions. Learns from others’ successes and, as important, from others’ failures
- You Exhibit a Bias for Action – Acts quickly and builds on what works and learns from what does not. When recognizing that something isn’t working, addresses it immediately
Varsity Tutors is a Learn Capital portfolio company. Learn Capital is a venture capital firm dedicated to education technology companies. We invest in and support early-stage ventures involved in the creation, delivery, management and scaling of learning experiences and educational access for students of all ages worldwide. Since launching its inaugural fund in 2009, the firm has backed startups that have achieved leadership positions in multiple high growth education markets. We aim to transform the way the world learns by helping entrepreneurs with a vision for better and smarter learning.