Foundry College - Senior Software Engineer
San Francisco Bay Area
Portfolio Companies – Foundry College
Foundry College, a new type of two-year college, seeks a full-time Senior Software Engineer. This online college is designed to educate working adults to fill in-demand jobs by teaching skills and knowledge that are vital to employers and unlikely to be automated in the foreseeable future. Our founder, a leading expert in the science of learning, has assembled a team of experienced leaders in business and academia to build this innovative program.
The Senior Software Engineer will be a key member of the team, reporting directly to the CEO and working in conjunction with our current engineering lead. The job requires someone who can ensure that all aspects of Foundry’s proprietary technology platform run smoothly and efficiently and develop new technology as needed. As Foundry grows, this person will also play a key role in building out Foundry’s engineering and technology team.
Applicants should be passionate about education and excited about Foundry’s mission to provide students with an education that aligns skills and knowledge with the jobs of today and tomorrow. Successful applicants should also have experience collaborating with cross-functional teams, excellent communication and leadership skills, and a strong work ethic. Joining us at this stage means you will have the opportunity to help lead the development of our learning platform and define the future of Foundry’s technology.
- Develop and manage software: You will develop and manage the company’s proprietary Learning Management System.
- Collaborate with Team: You will work collaboratively with other high-level engineers who will be part of the team.
- Leverage existing technology built to date: You will develop a scalable solution for media communication between multiple parties and integrate it into existing system.
- Evaluate and set up software for students, faculty, and operating team: You will iterate to refine student and faculty experience on the platform and regularly refine existing code.
- Set up and manage a Student Information System: You will build a delightful, usable, and accessible online interface for student and faculty users; while also collaborating with instructional designers and course assistants to load course content onto platform.
- Manage a team to develop new software: You will build a dynamic dashboard to allow students to monitor their competency levels in certain subjects. You will be responsible for the creation and auto-scoring of quizzes by sampling without replacement from a large pool of items
- Manage team of IT professionals: You will ensure that they serve the students and staff appropriately
- Work with internal stakeholders and cross-functional leaders to develop and execute on business goals: You will lead the development of a vision and strategy for our technology team, helping to guide the technological foundation of our academic program and operations.
- Work collaboratively to build best-in-class educational experience: You will work in close partnership with the CEO, Faculty, Operations, Marketing, and Partnerships teams to build a best-in-class experiences for students and faculty.
- Demonstrable competence in building software.
- 4+ years of full-stack Web development experience.
- Experience with WebRTC and VoIP services, such as Twilio and Tokbox.
- Understanding of React.
- Prior experience with AWS (S3, DynamoDB), Redis.
- Prior experience with Terraform.
- Outstanding organizational and leadership abilities.
- Excellent interpersonal skills.
- Excellent decision-maker and problem-solver.
- Open to new ideas; adaptable.
- High energy and entrepreneurial spirit.
- Enthusiasm for Foundry College’s educational mission.
- B.A. or B.S. preferred.
- Experience managing a tech team preferred.
Benefits and Perks:
- Foundry College’s new office headquarters is in San Francisco. We are Series A funded by Learn Capital, Silicon Valley’s leading educational technology venture capital firm.
- As an employee at Foundry College, you’ll receive a competitive compensation and benefits package including medical, dental, vision, life insurance, and unlimited vacation. Most importantly, you’ll have the chance to be part of the company revolutionizing high-quality education at scale.
A few things about our culture:
- Our team is small, and we have ambitious growth plans for our team and students served! At Foundry, we believe we are building a product that is uniquely positioned to deliver on our mission to provide students with an education that aligns future-proof skills and knowledge with the jobs of today and tomorrow. We plan to do this at a massive scale.
The experience of working at Foundry is driven by these core values:
- Learning is never done: Have a growth mindset. We have a culture of encouragement paired with culture of excellence.
- Celebrate diversity: Embrace the reality that the world, our students, and our team are full diverse people, perspectives, and experiences.
- Speak up: On our team, everyone is free to share their views. We want you to speak up when you have something to say.
- We care about results: Getting your work done matters more than face-time. Ownership matters.
- Radical candor: Care personally about your colleagues and challenge them directly. We have a culture of transparency.
- Assume positive intent: We strive for a positive and trusting work environment and hire people who share that goal.
Learn Capital is a venture capital firm dedicated to education technology companies. We invest in and support early-stage ventures involved in the creation, delivery, management and scaling of learning experiences and educational access for students of all ages worldwide. Since launching its inaugural fund in 2009, the firm has backed startups that have achieved leadership positions in multiple high growth education markets. We aim to transform the way the world learns by helping entrepreneurs with a vision for better and smarter learning.