Foundry College - Head of Technology and Engineering
San Francisco Bay Area
Portfolio Companies – Foundry College
Foundry College, a new type of two-year college seeks a full-time Head of Technology and Engineering. This online college is designed to educate working adults to fill in-demand jobs by teaching skills and knowledge that are vital to employers and unlikely to be automated in the foreseeable future. Our founder, a leading expert in the science of learning and seasoned academic leader, has assembled a team of experienced instructional designers and business leaders to build this innovative program.
The Head of Technology and Engineering is a key member of the senior management team, reporting directly to the CEO. The job requires someone who can ensure that all aspects of our technology run smoothly and efficiently, and build and manage a team that develops new technology as needed. Applicants should be passionate about education and about helping the disadvantaged. Applicants should also have experience leading a tech team, experience collaborating with cross-functional teams, excellent communication and leadership skills, and a strong work ethic. Joining us at this stage means you will have the opportunity to lead the development of our learning platform and define the future of our technology.
- Develop and manage software: You will develop and manage the company’s proprietary Learning Management System.
- Collaborate with Team: You will work collaboratively with other high-level engineers who will be part of the team.
- Leverage existing technology built to date: You will develop a scalable solution for media communication between multiple parties and integrate it into existing system.
- Evaluate and set up software for students, faculty, and operating team: You will iterate to refine student and faculty experience on the platform and regularly refine existing code.
- Set up and manage a Student Information System: You will build a delightful, usable, and accessible online interface for student and faculty users; while also collaborating with instructional designers and course assistants to load course content onto platform.
- Manage a team to develop new software: You will build a dynamic dashboard to allow students to monitor their competency levels in certain subjects. You will be responsible for the creation and auto-scoring of quizzes by sampling without replacement from a large pool of items
- Manage team of IT professionals: You will ensure that they serve the students and staff appropriately
- Work with internal stakeholders and cross-functional leaders to develop and execute on business goals: You will lead the development of a vision and strategy for our technology team, helping to guide the technological foundation of our academic program and operations.
- Work collaboratively to build best-in-class educational experience: You will work in close partnership with the CEO, Faculty, Operations, Marketing, and Partnerships teams to build a best-in-class experiences for students and faculty.
- Demonstrable competency in building software.
- 5+ years of full-stack Web development experience.
- Experience with WebRTC and VoIP services, such as Twilio and Tokbox.
- Understanding of React.
- Prior experience with AWS (S3, DynamoDB), Redis.
- Prior experience with Terraform.
- Proven experience managing a tech team.
- Not afraid to engage in exhaustive testing and bug fixing.
- Outstanding organizational and leadership abilities.
- Excellent interpersonal skills.
- Excellent decision-maker and problem-solver.
- Open to new ideas; adaptable.
- High energy and entrepreneurial spirit.
- B.A. or B.S. preferred.
Learn Capital is a venture capital firm dedicated to education technology companies. We invest in and support early-stage ventures involved in the creation, delivery, management and scaling of learning experiences and educational access for students of all ages worldwide. Since launching its inaugural fund in 2009, the firm has backed startups that have achieved leadership positions in multiple high growth education markets. We aim to transform the way the world learns by helping entrepreneurs with a vision for better and smarter learning.