English Instructor (Part-Time, Remote)
Juni Instructors /
Do you love working with kids and inspiring the next generation of thinkers, writers, and doers? Instructors at Juni Learning work directly with students ages 8-18 by teaching weekly, online English classes. Our English classes are focused on helping students analyze literature and develop their creative writing skills.
The starting rate for Juni Instructors is $20 per hour. We’ve designed the instructor role to be a flexible, part-time position. Instructors can set their availability and generally work with their students at a regular time, once or twice per week. We expect a commitment of teaching 6 hours per week and at least a 5 month commitment.
Instructors will use the curriculum and teaching tools developed by Juni Learning. Each lesson is 50 minutes long, taught in an online, private (1-1) format. Eventually, instructors may have the opportunity to teach small group classes, too.
Commitment to providing students a great education. We’re excited about instructors who:
- Can coach students to master reading, writing, and language skills by asking the right questions, not demanding the right answers.
- Have a great attitude and desire to help kids build resilience and grit alongside their reading and writing skills.
- Are passionate about and dedicated to clarity and precision in their writing.
- Are confident improvising and going off script to field student questions about the material.
- Foster a safe community and encourage students to bring their full selves to each lesson.
Professionalism and initiative. We expect our instructors to:
- Treat all students and parents with respect.
- Act in accordance to a high standard of ethics, and maintain family and student confidentiality and privacy.
- Take initiative to solve or anticipate problems early or refer to another Juni Learning employee.
- Flexibly adapt to changing needs, and collaborate effectively with co-workers for any issues that may arise.
- Promote our values and mission, and serve as role models for kids of all backgrounds and ages.
- College-level student with experience teaching or tutoring young students and a track record of improving student outcomes.
- Dedicated to fostering a passion for reading and writing in kids and teenagers (ages 8-18).
- Respectful and encouraging of student creativity.
- Commitment to work a minimum of 6 hours per week for a minimum of 5 months.
- Ability to work well with students of different ages and different levels of reading and writing proficiency.
- Strong communication skills, especially with families (both children and adults).
- Must be authorized to work in the US and performing work in the US.
Mini-Lesson Recording Instructions
As part of your application, we ask you to record a short, 3-4 minute recording explaining the following concept:
How do you analyze a word's connotation?
You should prepare as if the student is in 5th grade (~10 years old). Use Loom (https://www.loom.com) to record your video, including your voice and face, and paste the link in your application. Please use a visual aid of your choosing (you may use a Zoom whiteboard, PowerPoint, a piece of paper, or other similar tool).
1. Know your audience - For the recording, try to communicate your lesson at a fifth-grade level.
2. Prepare your lesson - Take some time before recording to go over your approach. We look for a presentation that clearly breaks down the concept.
3. Keep it professional - Make sure to record in an appropriate and professional environment, as if you were teaching a student in person.
4. Have fun! - We advocate for instructors to be positive, energetic, and encouraging while explaining concepts as thoroughly as possible.
About Juni Learning
Juni Learning is a technology company committed to preparing kids for life and developing leaders in the world. The company is backed by top leaders in technology including early stage investor Arielle Zuckerberg, Y Combinator Co-founder Jessica Livingston, Y Combinator Partner Adora Cheung and others. Juni was founded by Stanford graduates and Google alumni and now serves thousands of students in 38 US states and 10 countries. The company is headquartered in San Francisco and was recently featured in Forbes, Fortune, and TechCrunch. To learn more, please visit junilearning.com.