San Francisco, CA
Who we are:
Backed by QED Investors and Fifth Third Bank, Lendeavor is building the modern bank for healthcare providers to help improve the quality of care they provide to millions of patients nationwide. Healthcare professionals are facing increasing financial pressure and a complex landscape of services that are difficult to navigate. We're committed to empowering these professionals with technology-enabled offerings to make it easier for them to obtain the right financial products and services when they need them so that they can focus on what they do best -- providing outstanding care.
Our first step was to make streamlined business financing (for example, a $750,000 loan for a dentist to buy her first practice) available to busy healthcare practitioners at their convenience -- instead of during the typical 9-to-5 banker’s hours. On the back end, our software makes our team more efficient at processing -- without the overhead of a brick-and-mortar presence -- saving doctors even more time and money. This efficiency drives faster funding and lower rates. Since making our first loan only three years ago, we’ve become a top lender in the space. Going forward, we’re focused on expanding our service offerings to healthcare professionals with a commitment to simplicity, convenience, and efficiency.
About the role:
Lendeavor is seeking a highly motivated, collaborative, and business-minded General Counsel with a deep background in financial services to lead its legal and compliance functions. Lendeavor is rapidly scaling its core digital lending product. The most challenging work underpinning this expansion is increasing the company’s lending capacity through significant ($100mm - $1bn+) forward-flow loan purchase commitments and various other funding arrangements with banks and large financial institutions. As we scale lending and expand to offer a customized suite of financial services to healthcare professionals, the company will raise several additional venture financing rounds and navigate numerous legal and compliance issues associated with delivering new products.
Collaborating heavily with senior management, the General Counsel will work across the organization providing legal and compliance guidance and manage outside counsel, with an emphasis on capital markets and M&A activity. The ideal candidate will combine a deep financial services background with experience in a high-growth fintech or specialty lending company.
What you'll do:
- Advise senior management and negotiate with opposing counsel on the company’s important transactions, most prominently in capital markets and financing/M&A, but also with respect to business development partnerships and the company’s loan originations
- Manage all outside counsel relationships to ensure legal cost is managed effectively
- Draft and review all legal documentation and negotiate legal issues with respect to term sheets and transaction documents for whole loan forward-flow agreements, securitizations, equity raises, etc.
- Negotiate, review, and draft agreements related to licenses, intellectual property, marketing, and business development
- Advise C-level management on corporate governance and equity fundraising, including board meetings, stock administration, business conduct, and other policy matters
- Provide legal and regulatory guidance on the design of new financial product offerings
- Maintain and oversee compliance with state licensing and usury requirements
- Manage external compliance consultants and oversee drafting and implementation of compliance policies and procedures
- Implement regulatory change management program and communicate relevant changes to internal and external stakeholders
- Own LaserPro relationship and implement changes to borrower-facing documents
- Respond promptly to requests for legal advice from sales, operations, and other personnel, summarizing and communicating legal concepts in a manner that is understandable and useful to business team members
- Advise all business users on the legal issues and risks, complex deal structures, approval processes, company policies and procedures, IP, negotiation strategy, and other related issues
- Deeply versed in finance, passionate about deal-making, and willing to roll up your sleeves and work independently to get things done
- Excited about being part of a purpose-driven organization that's helping to reduce the financial burden on healthcare professionals
- A highly collaborative team player with the ability to work successfully in an entrepreneurial, fast-moving environment
- Flexible and able to identify creative solutions that are within the letter and spirit of the law
- Highly accountable and driven
- 6+ years of law firm or in-house experience in commercial transactions and technology licensing contracts
- Experience in M&A, loan sale and servicing agreements, securitization, lending, compliance, and risk management
- A minimum of 7 years of professional legal experience (experience with venture-backed companies a plus but not required)
- Superior communication skills, both verbally and in writing
- Strong organizational skills and the ability to prioritize multiple simultaneous projects with different deadlines
Lendeavor is an equal opportunity employer and dedicated to diversity and inclusion in the workplace. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, sex, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, marital status, pregnancy status, veteran status, or disability status.