Software Engineer - Tableau
Los Angeles /
Engineering – Engineering /
A BIT ABOUT US
Lever was founded eight years ago to tackle the most strategic challenge that companies face: how to recruit and hire top talent. We’re building the next generation of hiring software that companies like Netflix, Cirque du Soleil, Shopify, and Eventbrite rely on to grow their teams. We've rethought the talent acquisition paradigm and are the innovation leaders in our space and looking for the right people to join us as we scale.
We’re extraordinarily proud of the company we’ve built so far (not to mention humbled to be recognized as the #1 place to work in San Francisco, as well as a top workplace in the entire United States). Our people are Lever’s biggest competitive advantage and we’ll continue investing in our “Leveroos” and people-first culture.
Lever Talent Intelligence, Lever’s advanced analytics application, is built on top of Tableau Server. Our next generation of reporting features is in construction on the Looker platform. We want to translate and improve on what we have in Tableau into Looker to enable a smooth transition for customers. At the end of this process, we want to sunset our Tableau Server and consolidate our analytics features into Looker.
This is where you come in. You will help evolve Lever’s analytics features to help Lever’s customers recruit more efficiently and more predictably. While the position will start with a focus on our Tableau Server integration, over time the role will transition to a focus on our Looker integration.
As a Tableau engineer, you will be able to help build the next generation of recruiting analytics at Lever. You will have the chance to work directly with experienced data analysts and reporting ETL engineers to provide a best-in-class analytics solution. Lever wants to set the analytics standard for recruiting, you help us establish that standard.
As part of your daily work, you will have the opportunity to build expertise in multiple Business Intelligence tools. You will be able to exercise and strengthen your automation and efficiency skills.
Lever’s reporting engineering team combines ETL engineers, data analysts, designers, and product managers to build, define, and design analytics products for customers. You will join the team as an software engineer focused on the Tableau Server integration and migration to Looker.
You will collaborate closely with the ETL engineers to build software that makes our Business Intelligence tools more efficient. You will work closely with the Data Analysts and Talent Analytics Consultants who build dashboards and other content for customers. You will consult and help guide a product and design team that strives to build features to connect human potential to meaningful work.
THE SKILL SET:
- 1+ years of professional experience with Tableau Server
- 2+ years of software engineering experience
- A deep understanding of Business Intelligence tools, like Tableau, and the problems they solve
- Knowledge of Looker is a plus, a desire to learn Looker is a must
- A desire to teach others with the communication skills needed to effectively share knowledge
- Empathy for users within Lever and the Lever customer
WITHIN 1 MONTH, YOU’LL:
- Complete Ramp Camp, our comprehensive onboarding program designed to get you up to speed on all aspects of the business with a cross-functional cohort of new Leveroos. You'll learn about our business, product, vision and team and gain an understanding about how your role fits into Lever's broader organization.
- Learn about the technology behind Lever Talent Intelligence
- Meet internal users of Business Intelligence tools
WITHIN 3 MONTHS, YOU’LL:
- Learn about Looker’s feature set and how they map to Tableau’s
- Improve automation of Tableau Server configuration and management
- Help design automated data quality tests for custom analytics
- Automate exports of existing Tableau content to a separate Tableau Server instance
WITHIN 6 MONTHS, YOU’LL:
- Facilitate updates for Tableau Server
- Build a framework for writing automated data quality tests
- Automate the translation of custom Tableau dashboards into Looker dashboards
- Customize Looker with new visualizations to improve customer experience
- Contribute to the long-term roadmap of the reporting team
WITHIN 12 MONTHS, YOU’LL:
- Improve performance of Looker calculations with smart Persistent Derived Tables
- Contribute public Lever data to the Looker Marketplace
- Automate continuous data quality testing
IS THIS ROLE NOT AN EXACT FIT?
THE LEVER STORY
Lever builds modern recruiting software for teams to source, interview, and hire top talent. Our team strives to set a new bar for enterprise software with modern, well-designed, real-time apps. We participated in Y Combinator in summer 2012, and since then have raised $73 million. As the applicant tracking system of choice for Netflix, Eventbrite, ClearSlide, change.org, and thousands more leading companies, Lever means you hire the best by hiring together.
Under the hood, we're a technology company with a powerful open-source web framework: DerbyJS. It is the first and only open-source MVC framework that syncs all data via an Operational Transformation backend, using the same algorithm that powers Google Docs. DerbyJS is also uniquely optimized to render everything on the server as well as the client.
Lever is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to providing reasonable accommodations and will work with you to meet your needs. If you are a person with a disability and require assistance during the application process, please don’t hesitate to reach out! We celebrate our inclusive work environment and welcome members of all backgrounds and perspectives. Learn more about our team culture and commitment to diversity and inclusion. or learn more about what Lever Engineering is up to on the Engineering Blog.