Sales Development Manager
Hello, Toronto! We are beyond excited to open our first office outside of San Francisco and are looking for the right people to join us as our first hires in our new city.
A BIT ABOUT US
Lever was founded seven years ago to tackle the most strategic challenge that companies face: how to recruit and hire top talent. We’re building the next generation of hiring software that companies like Netflix, Yelp, Cirque du Soleil, Shopify, and Eventbrite rely on to grow their teams. We've rethought the talent acquisition paradigm and are the innovation leaders in our space.
We’re extraordinarily proud of the company we’ve built so far (not to mention humbled to be recognized as the #1 place to work in San Francisco, as well as a top workplace in the entire United States.). Our people are Lever’s biggest competitive advantage: we’ll continue investing in our “Leveroos” by bringing our people-first culture to Toronto.
We’re new to the Toronto area, and we need a strong sales leader to lead the sales charge as we’re growing into a new market. We’re building out in our new location and market and you’ll have a ton of influence in how we grow the team. You’ll also be a cultural torch bearer and help define the Lever Toronto culture and bring our values to life. And at the core, you’ll continue to scale the sales function from the ground up in our new location.
You’ll be building a growing a team of sales development representatives from scratch. This is the right opportunity for someone excited by building, defining success, and coaching new team members in an ambiguous environment. You’ll define how to be successful in our new office but will have the resources from our San Francisco team and your peers. As the SDR function grows, we’ll also look to you to lead the charge around onboarding your team as well as additional managers.
You’ll be the foundational member of your team and how you grow it is going to both be up to and your first challenge to tackle! We’ll look to to you to partner with our Toronto-based recruiter to evaluate candidates, find the right Leveroos that will take the SDR function to the next level, and get them up to speed.
WITHIN 1 MONTH, YOU'LL
- Complete your Ramp Camp and starter project; present your findings to relevant stakeholders
- Learn the Lever sales process, from outbounding, to discovery and demos, to getting deals over the finish line; learn what it takes to close deals at Lever
- Review three discovery calls with each SDR through our tool, Gong.
- Choose three account executives to shadow to understand how your team can continue to better support AEs
- Dive into building a pipeline of Sales Development Reps with our Sales Recruiter(s): learn how to recruit the Lever way, hire, and train; complete hiring manager training
- Identify areas of improvement to efficiently outbound the Mid Market and Enterprise segments by using Salesforce data, including historical closed-lost data
- Run weekly team meetings that communicate wins, areas of opportunities, and process improvements; leverage your team in helping you create the team agenda
- Conduct your first several 1:1s with each SDR across all segments
WITHIN 3 MONTHS, YOU'LL
- This is the phase of owning your metrics – it’s your job to get the SDRs to deliver on their numbers: KPIs on call volume, lead follow-up times, lead conversion rates, pipeline sourced, etc. with a view to ramping team to 100% quota achievement
- Develop strong relationships with the SDRs on your team; be a coach and trusted advisor through:
- Providing real-time feedback when shadowing calls
- Using every opportunity to provide coaching: what’s going well, what’s not
- Learn about each SDR’s career ambitions
- Work with Marketing to arm your SDRs with killer competitive intelligence by building competitive tier sheet and a lead qualification machine
- Implement a process improvement aimed at culture: understand the current temperature of your team, what they need, and how to continue to drive a positive and winning atmosphere
- Host your first team offsite and own all planning aspects; collect feedback geared towards iteration for your next offsite: what went well, what could be better, what is the team truly craving?
- Explicitly start training up your SDRs to have a strong sales foundation for growth into closing roles
- Design the career progression plan from SDR to a closing role including the requisite training initiatives: make sure relevant performance information is communicated to their new manager
- Hire your first SDR through partnering with Recruiting
WITHIN 6 MONTHS, YOU'LL
- Conduct your first round of performance reviews:
- Use your KPIs as guides
- Create a mutually-agreed-upon plan for the forward six months with each team member
- Continue to partner with Marketing to execute on initiatives to drive SQLs and other qualified leads to ensure goals are met
- Scale your team as needed to enable all of Sales to achieve our revenue goals. Consider:
- Does Lever need more SDRs in number?
- Does Lever need fewer but more productive SDRs?
- Host your second team offsite; fold in feedback you gathered after the previous offsite.
WITHIN 12 MONTHS, YOU'LL
- Have built the next generation Sales Development organization - a foundation that can be adopted to international expansion
- Build long lasting relationships with your team, that persists long after they’ve been promoted to closing roles.
- Create and implement a retention plan for your team--what does your team need more of? Have their motivations changed? Are there different ways to incentivize your team?
IS THIS ROLE NOT AN EXACT FIT?
THE LEVER STORY
Lever builds modern recruiting software for teams to source, interview, and hire top talent. Our team strives to set a new bar for enterprise software with modern, well-designed, real-time apps. We participated in Y Combinator in summer 2012, and since then have raised $73 million. As the applicant tracking system of choice for Netflix, Eventbrite, ClearSlide, change.org, and thousands more leading companies, Lever means you hire the best by hiring together.
Lever is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to providing reasonable accommodations and will work with you to meet your needs. If you are a person with a disability and require assistance during the application process, please don’t hesitate to reach out! We celebrate our inclusive work environment and welcome members of all backgrounds and perspectives. Learn more about our team culture and commitment to diversity and inclusion.