General and Administrative
A BIT ABOUT US
Lever was founded seven years ago to tackle the most strategic challenge that companies face: how to recruit and hire top talent. We’re building the next generation of hiring software that companies like Netflix, Yelp, Cirque du Soleil, Shopify, and Eventbrite rely on to grow their teams. We've rethought the talent acquisition paradigm and are the innovation leaders in our space.
We’re extraordinarily proud of the company we’ve built so far (not to mention humbled to be recognized as the #1 place to work in San Francisco, as well as a top workplace in the entire United States.). Our people are Lever’s biggest competitive advantage: we’ll continue investing in our “Leveroos” by bringing our people-first culture to Toronto.
The legal intern will join our Corporate Counsel to find business centric solutions to Lever’s legal and compliance needs. We are looking for a second year or third year law student with an interest in working in-house at a growing technology company to work as a part time (10-15 hours per week) intern supporting commercial contracting initiatives and data protection projects to serve Lever’s growing business.
Working with Lever’s Corporate Counsel, the legal intern will execute on selected projects based on Lever’s needs and the intern’s interest areas. Projects may include a review of existing customer contracts to identify opportunities to introduce additional automation in the customer review process, development of policies required to meet the needs of new data protection legislation including GDPR and CCPA, process audits to identify compliance with legal requirements, and legal research and writing initiatives to develop resources for customers on compliance with laws that may apply to Lever’s customers. As this person grows in this role, she or he will have the opportunity to take on further responsibility. This internship will extend through the end of December with the opportunity to renew for the spring semester.
The legal intern will join our Corporate Counsel as the second member of the legal team to unblock Lever’s business units as new legal or data protection challenges arise. As a service organization within Lever, the Legal team works closely with every team at Lever with the primary objective of turning a department that is generally considered a cost center into a business partner in achieving each team’s business objectives.
- Pre-law school experience working in a corporate environment.
- Ability to work independently with limited supervision.
- Excellent attention to detail.
- Excellent communication and negotiation skills.
- Genuine interest in working in-house at a technology company.
WITHIN ONE MONTH, YOU'LL:
- Work with Lever’s Corporate Counsel to set part-time work schedule and weekly 1:1 cadence.
- Identify particular areas of interest and work with Corporate Counsel to identify how to incorporate those interests in assigned projects.
- Complete your first two projects with assistance from Corporate Counsel.
WITHIN TWO MONTHS, YOU'LL:
- Begin to work cross functionally with other business units to complete assigned projects.
- Continue to take on additional ownership of project deliverables, making recommendations to our Corporate Counsel on the best way to accomplish project objectives.
WITHIN THREE MONTHS, YOU'LL:
- Actively identify future project needs for the business, and make recommendations to Lever’s Corporate Counsel regarding where our interns can make the largest impact.
- Work on projects with limited supervision, including independently working cross functionally with other departments as needed.
- Perform trainings on project results to cross functional business units as needed.
IS THIS ROLE NOT AN EXACT FIT?
THE LEVER STORY
Lever builds modern recruiting software for teams to source, interview, and hire top talent. Our team strives to set a new bar for enterprise software with modern, well-designed, real-time apps. We participated in Y Combinator in summer 2012, and since then have raised $73 million. As the applicant tracking system of choice for Netflix, Eventbrite, ClearSlide, change.org, and thousands more leading companies, Lever means you hire the best by hiring together.
Lever is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to providing reasonable accommodations and will work with you to meet your needs. If you are a person with a disability and require assistance during the application process, please don’t hesitate to reach out! We celebrate our inclusive work environment and welcome members of all backgrounds and perspectives. Learn more about our team culture and commitment to diversity and inclusion.