Manager of Customer Support
Service and Support
The Customer Support team is integral to the retention and success of our customers and as Lever grows and expands, so does the team. We are small and mighty with plans to continue to scale with the business--this means working through ambiguity and helping to shape the team. As Manager, Customer Support, you will face the unique challenges of managing our specialized escalation teams, coaching them through blockers that they face and professionally mentoring those team members. You’ll also push the team to focus on response and resolution timeliness and identify ways we can be a more efficient and effective team.
As Manager of Customer Support you will partner with the existing Manager of Customer Support (your peer) to manage and scale a world-class Customer Support organization. You will hire in order to keep the team staffed, and shepherd the continuous evolution and growth of the team within the Customer Experience and Solutions organization. The organization will excel under your leadership at serving, engaging, and providing efficient and complete resolution for Lever customers, both internal and external; maintaining high levels of customer satisfaction; deepening the level of engagement by our customers with all the Lever products they use; and providing proactive change management opportunity as the Lever Product continues to evolve.
Join a high-performing, tight knit team in a growth stage tech company that is working to make hiring more transparent, collaborative, strategic, and effective. The Customer Experience and Solutions organization at Lever holds deep product and recruiting knowledge and is growing quickly in response to the fast-growing list of Lever customers. Reporting to the Director of Customer Support, you will be our second Manager of Customer Support and will manage our escalated support teams- our Product Support team and Technical Support team. We’re a seasoned group that is driven by happy customers and a passion to drive initiatives that improve internal processes. The Manager of Customer Support is a customer-focused, data-driven manager and relationship builder, passionate about providing customers with an accessible, low-effort, intuitive and effective customer experience. The Manager of Customer Support will work with Customer Experience and Solutions leadership, and the rest of the Lever team to keep the customer experience ingrained in everything we do.
THE SKILL SET
- 3+ years of experience building and managing a tech support team.Proven track record building, developing, and fostering employee growth and retention.
- You are technically adept. You feel comfortable learning and using new technology and tools. Experience with help desk/issue resolution systems (Google Apps, Slack, Zendesk, Intercom, Asana, Salesforce, Lever Admin, Chrome Console, Kibana, MongoDB, SQL).
- Demonstrated ability to communicate complex technology to a non-technical person. Work cross-functionally with Customer Success, Solutions, Product, and R&D teams to meet service level agreements.
WITHIN 1 MONTH, YOU’LL:
- Complete Ramp Camp, our comprehensive onboarding program designed to get you up to speed on all aspects of the business with a cross-functional cohort of new Leveroos. You'll learn about our business, product, vision and team and gain an understanding about how your role fits in to Lever's broader organization.
- Dig into the recruiting world, quickly learning different recruiting team roles, interactions, activities, and metrics- and how that’s all captured within Lever’s product suite.
- Jump into the support and escalation queues, working side by side with the Support team to learn the Lever products, internal tools, and help resources to resolve 80% of basic customer questions quickly and efficiently without additional support.
- Shadow two or more Implementation Specialists, on both the SMB/Corp and Mid/Ent teams, through an implementation process to build an understanding of the onboarding process for all customers across segments.
- Shadow two or more Customer Success Managers through customer check-ins and account audits, to build an understanding of the lifecycle management of Mid/Ent customers.
- Interview a Solutions Architect to understand our third-party integrations and their enablements, especially as it relates to the customer lifecycle and how that will impact the Customer Support team.
- Learn the current state of our Product Launch processes and develop an understanding of how we proactively communicate change to customers, by working with the Product organization and the larger Customer Experience organization.
- Schedule weekly one-on-ones with each of your team members, establishing a cadence of communication and development conversations.
- Partner as peers with the Manager of Customer Support to learn and understand the current state of team metrics reporting, 1:1 cadences, and open and ongoing team initiatives.
WITHIN 3 MONTHS, YOU’LL:
- Work with each of your team members to create quarterly individual impact plans, ensuring that goals follow the SMART methodology and are aligned with team and company goals.
- In your previously scheduled one-on-ones with each team member, review those impact plans and focus on career development, professional development, and individual development.
- Identify and provide an opportunity for each team member for skill training, development training.
- Measure and refine Product and Technical Support metrics (e.g., response time, resolution time, customer satisfaction, contacts, cost per contact, etc.), identifying the story that the metrics tell to assure we are iterating appropriately.
- Develop a cadence to review and shadow your team’s interactions with customers, providing constructive feedback and hands-on guidance to help them improve where necessary to deliver the best possible customer service and achieve a high level of customer satisfaction for Lever customers.
- Work with Product Support Specialists, Technical Support Specialists and the Customer Support Specialists to audit and document escalation processes.
- Work with the existing Manager of Customer Support to prepare and deliver weekly Escalation and Launch team performance updates to the Director of Customer Support.
- Partner with the Manager of Customer Support to run the weekly Customer Support team meeting, and create an agenda and meeting cadence that supports high performance of the team.
- Partner with the Manager of Customer Support to own the team impact plan for Customer Support, and establish regular team calibrations on our mission, goals and roles, and commitments.
- Complete both Product and Reporting certifications, demonstrating an understanding of the overall Lever Product.
WITHIN 6 MONTHS, YOU’LL:
- Partner with the Manager of Customer Support to develop regular and ongoing team and individual recognition programs, assuring that the team understands and feels the impact of their accomplishments, and that they are recognized across Customer Success as well as across Lever.
- Take ownership of the recruiting, and hiring of new Product Support, Technical Support, and Launch Specialists.
- Develop and drive onboarding programs to continue to increase the efficiency and effectiveness of new hire trainings.
- Partner with Product and Engineering Management to manage Lever’s bug prioritization processes.
- Actively seek out, identify, and reduce customer escalations to Product and Technical Support.
- Establish regular collaboration with Product to understand and prepare team and systems for product releases including preparing help content, macros, facilitating release training for your team, and preparing release specific incident tracking.
- Establish regular collaboration with Solutions Architecture to understand and prepare your team for upcoming API and integration partnerships.
WITHIN 12 MONTHS, YOU’LL:
- Develop and deliver regular skill set training to increase team member expertise across all support channels: email, phone and chat.
- Develop and drive initiatives that provide focus on business needs (ie. building social proof recommendations from customers on specific websites).
- Track and incorporate release and outage milestones in regular metric reporting across all Service and Support tools (Zendesk, Zoom, and Intercom) to help understand historical spikes and trends in key support and service metrics.
- Reassess, define, and introduce specialization, as necessary, within Customer Service and Support tiers as appropriate.
IS THIS ROLE NOT AN EXACT FIT?
THE LEVER STORY
Lever builds modern recruiting software for teams to source, interview, and hire top talent. Our team strives to set a new bar for enterprise software with modern, well-designed, real-time apps. We participated in Y Combinator in summer 2012, and since then have raised $73 million. As the applicant tracking system of choice for Netflix, Eventbrite, ClearSlide, change.org, and thousands more leading companies, Lever means you hire the best by hiring together.
Lever is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to providing reasonable accommodations and will work with you to meet your needs. If you are a person with a disability and require assistance during the application process, please don’t hesitate to reach out! We celebrate our inclusive work environment and welcome members of all backgrounds and perspectives. Learn more about our team culture and commitment to diversity and inclusion.