Human Resources Business Partner
General and Administrative – People /
A BIT ABOUT US
Lever was founded eight years ago to tackle the most strategic challenge that companies face: how to recruit and hire top talent. We’re building the next generation of hiring software that companies like Netflix, Shopify, Atlassian, and McGraw Hill rely on to grow their teams. We've rethought the talent acquisition paradigm and are the innovation leaders in our space and looking for the right people to join us as we scale.
We’re extraordinarily proud of the company we’ve built so far (not to mention humbled to be recognized as the #1 place to work in San Francisco, as well as a top workplace in the entire United States). Our people are Lever’s biggest competitive advantage and we’ll continue investing in our “Leveroos” and people-first culture.
Lever expanded our global footprint and opened our Toronto office last year; our growing team and evolving people-first culture is looking for an experienced People Partner (HRBP) to be our first Toronto-based HRBP!
As most organizations have felt (and continue to feel), COVID-19 has ushered in a new generation of thought leadership, culture of work, and complex business challenges. This role will be critical in supporting and coaching our teams as we adapt and look to accomplish our ambitious goals worldwide.
This role will help to define the answers to questions like,
“What People initiatives should we implement, and how does that support the business?
“How will Lever’s people-first culture be amplified as we expand our footprint globally?”
“What does the future of work at Lever look like?”
“What does a goal-driven employee journey, rooted in empathy and growth, look like?”
This is the perfect opportunity for you if you’re excited by providing both strategic and hands-on support for a variety of teams at Lever, and are motivated by guiding our teams to align their people decisions and designs with their business goals. This is also a great opportunity if you’ve had experience or are interested in expanding the geographic footprint of the business, and creating a cohesive team culture in new as well as existing areas!
We’re looking for someone who loves data as much as we do, and is inspired by how we can use that information to inform and cultivate a winning business and culture that perform at its highest level and truly support our values and our people. You’ll own and nurture an excellent pulse on what’s happening in different pockets of the org, and collect, analyze, and tell compelling stories with data — in order to inform people-related decisions on specific teams as well as across the company.
You will coach and provide developmental feedback to leaders, both proactively and as employee relations issues come up, and you will take what you learn from these “on-the-ground” conversations and use them to influence Lever-wide people programs, processes, and policies. You will partner with leaders across Lever to develop, revise, and implement new or existing initiatives that increase their team’s performance, retention, and engagement, in close collaboration with the rest of the Employee Success team. You will be a sounding board, trusted advisor, and execution partner to leaders and ICs alike in high-level and in-the-weeds decisions.
The Human Resources Business Partner will be a key member of the Employee Success team. We are a fun, collaborative bunch who takes our mission seriously: as the Lever team’s strategic internal partners, we ensure all Leveroos have the space, skills, support, and physical and psychological safety that enable them to do their best work and own their own growth. We are the team that helps employees not only go faster and farther, but also do it in the right way. In partnership with leaders across Lever, we are proving to the world that a company like Lever that truly values people can win in business — in fact, that’s exactly why we will win! If playing a key, active role in this journey sounds exciting to you, let’s chat.Learn more about how we think about HR at Lever from our VP of People, Annie Lin. You are also welcome to read a bit about how we're building a great place to work for all people, and our approach to opening up the Toronto office.
THE SKILL SET
- 3+ years of experience of HR Business Partner experience
- 5+ years of progressive HR experience
- Strong experience and history of building partnerships with leaders at all levels.
- Ability to understand complex business needs and parameters, and solving them with creative solutions that are rooted in empathy for a diverse team.
- A history of partnership alignment to build and improve company culture and increase employee engagement
- Strong working knowledge of Canada employment laws and best practices
- Strong experience supporting employees across national boundaries
- Excellent attention to detail; strong written and verbal communicator
- Track record of effectively handling multiple priorities and projects simultaneously
- Track record of driving projects from end to end independently
- Track record of establishing trust with and influencing diverse groups of individuals
- Track record collecting and analyzing data, both qualitative and quantitative, to inform decisions
- Passion for increasing Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion in tech
- Passion for collaborative and creative problem-solving
WITHIN 1 MONTH, YOU'LL
- Complete Ramp Camp, our half-day onboarding program designed to get you up to speed on our mission and vision. You'll learn about our business, product, vision and team and gain an understanding about how your role fits into Lever's broader organization.
- Attend your first company-wide All-Hands meeting. You’ll learn about the key goals of the business, how we’re doing, and where we’re headed.
- Attend existing, recurring meetings with organizational leaders; make suggestions or recommendations on how to provide more value, data, and insight for future meetings.
- Get to know our current People Programs and what People initiatives are upcoming for the rest of this year and next year. You’ll also learn our day-to-day processes, such as how we kick off requisitions, our compensation and equity philosophy, and what recurring cadences of partnership we have with each department — as well as the role you will play in all this.
- Get caught up to speed on our future workplace plans; you’ll hit the ground running by asking insightful questions, giving meaningful feedback, and map out what initiatives you’ll own as we launch new locations!
- Get to know our headcount planning, position management, and internal org movement processes, and discuss the biggest areas for improvement.
- Meet with your key stakeholders in Toronto as well as other locations; get to know their preferred working and communication cadences, and align on how you will partner together. Identify any opportunities for further alignment and partnership.
- Learn the People Team’s quarterly OKRs (goals) and why we prioritized what we prioritized, and draft your own first-quarter OKRs in partnership with your manager.
WITHIN 3 MONTHS, YOU'LL
- In collaboration with the rest of the Employee Success team, finalize logistics and strategy for Lever’s geographic growth plan, including communications and launch execution.
- Partner with department heads on all aspects of planning for our upcoming fiscal year; this includes project-managing our planning process, presentation collaboration, and preparation of our headcount strategy for the next year.
- Coach leadership on organizational development, employee relations, performance management, and best practices. Use people metrics to drive key insights and decisions for growth and retention.
- Collaborate with the Employee Success Team to prepare and plan for our Spring Performance Review and Rewards cycle.
- Review our documentation for HR Practices in Toronto; collaborate with our HR Operations team to update and revise as needed.
- Partner with the rest of the Employee Success team to evolve our recurring cadences (such as goal-setting and performance reviews) such that they are more embedded into teams’ existing workflows and more sustainable over time.
WITHIN 6 MONTHS, YOU'LL
- Successfully launch Lever’s next workplace hub, and work toward building a sustainable and scalable plan for future use.
- Partner with the rest of the Employee Success team and leaders across the business to ensure all Leveroos set measurable, aligned goals (company, department, team, and individual OKRs) for the new fiscal year and quarter.
- Execute Lever’s Spring Performance Review and Rewards cycle, in close collaboration with the rest of the Employee Success Team
- Establish partnership and trust with your department leadership, with a deep understanding of specific business needs and ability to speak to their future strategies and how the People team will proactively partner with them.
- Drive toward innovative and progressive People programs and strategies, as we look to expand our globally distributed workforce.
- Get to know our D&I efforts and our ERGs, and partner with the rest of the People Team to create a D&I roadmap.
WITHIN 12 MONTHS, YOU'LL
- Own and implement significant aspects of Lever’s culture of performance and engagement, including cultural initiatives that ensure we’re operating as an effective and cohesive distributed team.
- Conduct, analyze, and take action on data (that you’ll collect!) on employee engagement. Whether this is through a pulse-check or engagement survey, or listening tour - you will play a significant role in impacting employee engagement.
- Partner with the People Team at-large to achieve our growth and retention goals; keeping our people-first culture while growing the business.
- Evolve our global benefits and perks programs, in partnership with our Employee Operations team.
- Be a go-to expert for the teams you support and for the People team, as we design and continue to innovate our People strategies.
IS THIS ROLE NOT AN EXACT FIT?
THE LEVER STORY
Lever builds modern recruiting software for teams to source, interview, and hire top talent. Our team strives to set a new bar for enterprise software with modern, well-designed, real-time apps. We participated in Y Combinator in summer 2012, and since then have raised $73 million. As the applicant tracking system of choice for Netflix, Eventbrite, ClearSlide, change.org, and thousands more leading companies, Lever means you hire the best by hiring together.
Lever is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to providing reasonable accommodations and will work with you to meet your needs. If you are a person with a disability and require assistance during the application process, please don’t hesitate to reach out! We celebrate our inclusive work environment and welcome members of all backgrounds and perspectives. Learn more about our team culture and commitment to diversity and inclusion.