Director of Engineering
Hello, Toronto! We are beyond excited to open our first office outside of San Francisco and are looking for the right people to join us as our first hires in our new city.
A BIT ABOUT US
Lever was founded seven years ago to tackle the most strategic challenge that companies face: how to recruit and hire top talent. We’re building the next generation of hiring software that companies like Netflix, Yelp, Cirque du Soleil, Shopify, and Eventbrite rely on to grow their teams. We've rethought the talent acquisition paradigm and are the innovation leaders in our space.
We’re extraordinarily proud of the company we’ve built so far (not to mention humbled to be recognized as the #1 place to work in San Francisco, as well as a top workplace in the entire United States.). Our people are Lever’s biggest competitive advantage: we’ll continue investing in our “Leveroos” by bringing our people-first culture to Toronto.
Lever's engineering team is growing rapidly and so is our company--we'll be building our next office in Toronto, Canada and we need a seasoned engineering leader to build, scale, and lead the team. Our engineering culture is rooted in thoughtfulness, code quality, and design thinking. We value transparency and believe in fostering an inclusive, collaborative, helpful team environment. We're always looking for ways to do better for our customers, the product, and for the team: #continuous-improvement.
We’re looking for an engineering leader who is inspired to mentor, grow, and help teams succeed, especially when the team is still small and nimble. You’re an experienced people manager and adept project manager who can guide developers to perform at their best (without sacrificing sleep) and also remove any blockers that may appear.
As a Director of Engineering, you’ll lead a team of product developers as they build new features for our core web app. You’ll keep the team engaged as we scale up; make sure that projects are running without a hitch; and bridge the gap with Product & Design to make sure that what we are building is on target and prioritizing customer value. As we onboard bigger customers and continue to evolve our hiring product, you’ll guide your team to execute with efficiency, consistency, and, above all, empathy. That’s the Lever way.
Read about what our team values and why here.
WITHIN 1 MONTH, YOU'LL:
- Investigate, solve and release a bug fix to production. In order to do this you will ramp up on Lever’s engineering stack by pair-programming with your teammates and attending engineering training sessions designed and presented by the team.
- Complete Lever’s new-hire training week (a.k.a. Ramp Camp), and learn what it means to build a powerful recruiting platform.
- Introduce yourself and your management philosophy with a presentation to the engineering team.
- Meet with cross-functional peers around the company to learn how the organization functions.
WITHIN 3 MONTHS, YOU'LL:
- Conduct weekly 1-1s with your direct reports. Mentor, coach, and train your reports on how to set quarterly goals, create plans to achieve them, and unblock any obstacles along the way.
- Run the weekly engineering all-hands team meeting. Set the agenda, encourage participation from the team, and ensure meeting runs efficiently. Solicit regular feedback to iterate on the content and format. Deliver your first engineering project. Help the project team to coordinate their work; collaborate effectively with other functions; identify, communicate and reduce risk; run effective meetings and periodic project retrospectives.
- Update and improve the Engineering onboarding process and documentation. Ensure that the next new hire onboarding is able to be completed faster and easier than your own.
- Keep our engineering candidate pipeline full by seeking out new candidates. Refer out of your network, send outbound to passive candidates, network at industry events, and nurture relationships through informal coffee chats and lunches.
- Source, interview, and close an engineering candidate. Work closely with the recruiting team and hiring panel to identify, vet and hire the best candidate for the team.
WITHIN 6 MONTHS, YOU'LL:
- Analyze and diagnose areas of improvement to the hiring process. Monitor metrics like interview load and conversion rate in order to find opportunities for improvement. Measure the impact of changes on the quality, throughput, and consistency of signal in the hiring pipeline.
- Work with the engineering leadership team to align, establish and promote engineering-wide priorities, including new features, system refactoring, infrastructure investments, and tool building.
- Represent Lever externally by writing for our engineering blog, participating in volunteer events at local bootcamps like Hackbright and Telegraph Academy, and attending industry events.
WITHIN 12 MONTHS, YOU'LL:
- Help set the standard for what engineering leadership looks like at Lever. Take us to the next level on topics like one-on-ones, goal setting, feedback and coaching, career planning, or continued education around soft skills and technical skills.
- Define career path opportunities for our engineering team so that all of our engineers can see paths for career development. Help our engineers identify the best direction for their own growth and then coach them along their chosen path.
- Develop new leaders by identifying leadership opportunities (leading projects, presenting to the team, conducting onboarding sessions, mentoring new hires) and matching them to appropriate members of the engineering team.
IS THIS ROLE NOT AN EXACT FIT?
THE LEVER STORY
Lever builds modern recruiting software for teams to source, interview, and hire top talent. Our team strives to set a new bar for enterprise software with modern, well-designed, real-time apps. We participated in Y Combinator in summer 2012, and since then have raised $73 million. As the applicant tracking system of choice for Netflix, Eventbrite, ClearSlide, change.org, and thousands more leading companies.
Under the hood, we're a technology company with a powerful open-source web framework: DerbyJS. It is the first and only open-source MVC framework that syncs all data via an Operational Transformation backend, using the same algorithm that powers Google Docs. DerbyJS is also uniquely optimized to render everything on the server as well as the client.
Lever is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to providing reasonable accommodations and will work with you to meet your needs. If you are a person with a disability and require assistance during the application process, please don’t hesitate to reach out! We celebrate our inclusive work environment and welcome members of all backgrounds and perspectives. Learn more about our team culture and commitment to diversity and inclusion. or learn more about what Lever Engineering is up to on the Engineering Blog.