A BIT ABOUT US
Lever was founded seven years ago to tackle the most strategic challenge that companies face: how to recruit and hire top talent. We’re building the next generation of hiring software that companies like Netflix, Yelp, Cirque du Soleil, Shopify, and Eventbrite rely on to grow their teams. We've rethought the talent acquisition paradigm and are the innovation leaders in our space and looking for the right people to join us as we scale.
As Lever’s Infrastructure Engineer, you'll be automating all the things: application and infrastructure deployment, continuous integration, monitoring, and alerting.
You’ll also own deployment and operation of Lever’s product systems and services. You’ll lead the design and development of tooling, automation, and dev processes for operating a fast-growing SaaS business. You'll also address the unique operational challenges of a real-time web application.
Help us mitigate risk while increasing reliability. We’ll trust you to lead our ability to triage and deal with operational issues. Advise our team on how to write code and architect systems that make our entire codebase more testable, scalable, and dependable. Introduce tools and practices to improve our deployment and testing. Own our disaster planning and socialize the monitoring and on-call procedures that will help our entire engineering team support you.
You’ll join a team where everyone—including you—is striving to constantly improve their knowledge of infrastructure, systems, and cares about minimizing downtime. We are an incredibly supportive team–we love to pitch in when problems arise and give great peer feedback to help each other grow. We are passionate about lots of things--automation, friendly chat bots, creating a great hiring experience, and a great user experience--and we love sharing those passions with each other.
THE TECH STACK
Lever uses our own open source MVC framework called Derby that syncs all data via Operational Transformation (the algorithm behind Google Docs and Wave). OT is the way we handle concurrency conflicts for any piece of data that is edited at the same time. Lever makes extensive use of AWS, Docker, Node, Mongo, ElasticSearch, and Redis within our infrastructure. We use tools like Hubot to streamline deployments and Graphana to see what’s going on under the hood. In addition to automating all the things, we love to version them too! Our systems are all created using Terraform and Chef, working together to ensure consistency at all costs.
THE SKILL SET
- Experience in a Software Engineering role with focus on Infrastructure
- Experience coding (JS or Typescript is a plus)
- Expert knowledge of Kubernetes, Elasticsearch
- Exposure to our tech stack preferred
WITHIN 1 MONTH, YOU’LL
- Complete Lever’s new-hire training week (a.k.a. Ramp Camp), and learn what it means to build a powerful recruiting platform
- Ramp up on Lever’s engineering stack by pair-programming with your teammates and attending engineering training sessions designed and presented by your peers
- Complete your first engineering project!
WITHIN 3 MONTHS, YOU’LL
- Own, plan and implement your first infrastructure project
- Systematically identify and tackle complex problems using our monitoring tools (Datadog, ELK)Have an understanding of the services that Lever is comprised of and how they interact with one another
- Participate in infrastructure-specific on-call rotation, diagnose and resolve production issues
WITHIN 6 MONTHS, YOU’LL
- Build, launch, and support your first big feature. You’ll partner cross-functionally with Product and Design and focus on keeping your stakeholders apprised of progress and updates.
- Have made a visible impact on the product for all the users of Lever.
- Own major feature areas of the application.
- Be comfortable navigating most of our stack and infrastructure.
- Be responsible for the planning, scoping, design, and implementation of new features.
WITHIN 12 MONTHS, YOU’LL
- Individually contribute and lead teams to reliably ship full features to customers.
- Own major product areas and take features from mock to deploy.
- Estimate technical scope and time to complete major features and initiatives.
- Help grow other engineers technically by mentoring, pairing and developing other learning opportunities.
- Collaborate with engineering and product leadership to define priorities and set delivery goals.
- Participate in interviewing and hiring, as a way to influence team growth and how our values inform our culture.
IS THIS ROLE NOT AN EXACT FIT?
THE LEVER STORY
Lever builds modern recruiting software for teams to source, interview, and hire top talent. Our team strives to set a new bar for enterprise software with modern, well-designed, real-time apps. We participated in Y Combinator in summer 2012, and since then have raised $73 million. As the applicant tracking system of choice for Netflix, Eventbrite, ClearSlide, change.org, and thousands more leading companies.
Under the hood, we're a technology company with a powerful open-source web framework: DerbyJS. It is the first and only open-source MVC framework that syncs all data via an Operational Transformation backend, using the same algorithm that powers Google Docs. DerbyJS is also uniquely optimized to render everything on the server as well as the client.
Lever is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to providing reasonable accommodations and will work with you to meet your needs. If you are a person with a disability and require assistance during the application process, please don’t hesitate to reach out! We celebrate our inclusive work environment and welcome members of all backgrounds and perspectives. Learn more about our team culture and commitment to diversity and inclusion. or learn more about what Lever Engineering is up to on the Engineering Blog.