Director of Infrastructure and Quality Engineering
Engineering – Engineering /
A BIT ABOUT US
Lever was founded eight years ago to tackle the most strategic challenge that companies face: how to recruit and hire top talent. We’re building the next generation of hiring software that companies like Netflix, Atlassian, KPMG, and McGraw-Hill Education rely on to grow their teams. We've rethought the talent acquisition paradigm and are the innovation leaders in our space and looking for the right people to join us as we scale.
We’re extraordinarily proud of the company we’ve built so far (not to mention humbled to be recognized as the #1 place to work in San Francisco, as well as a top workplace in the entire United States). Our people are Lever’s biggest competitive advantage and we’ll continue investing in our “Leveroos” and people-first culture.
We are looking for a Director of Infrastructure to help us scale our business by building and leading world-class infrastructure (DevOps) and Quality Engineering teams. This role will lead our efforts to increase scalability, reliability, performance, and quality. We’ll trust you to work with our dev team to lead the direction and execution on infrastructure and quality processes to build scalable, robust, and secure products.
Lead, collaborate, build.
Foremost you will draw on your people management and organizational skills to grow and shape our team of infrastructure and quality engineers. You will also draw from your hands-on technical skills in DevOps, systems automation, systems architecture, database administration, and coding to develop our top performers. You'll set the direction for the team and lead our efforts in capacity planning and scaling our infrastructure to our next level of growth.
You’ll bring your expertise to improve the design and development of tooling, automation, and quality processes. You'll also address the unique operational challenges of a realtime web application.
THE SKILL SET
- 7-10 years of experience in the tech industry working within various companies with a track record of delivering software with high business impact
- 3+ years experience leading an Infrastructure/DevOps team for a modern as-a-service offering
- 2+ years leading a quality engineering team focused on automation
- Deep understanding of modern DevOps tools and practices
- Deep understanding of the demands of enterprise customers in the realm of cyber security practices
WITHIN 1 MONTH, YOU'LL:
- Familiarize yourself with the Platform, Product Engineering and Security organizations
- Take on people management responsibility for DevOps and Quality engineers
- Run sprint planning meetings for DevOps and Quality Engineering projects
- Shadow DevOps interview process and source DevOps candidates
- Work with our established Cyber Security team to understand identified risk and partner with them for remediation
WITHIN 3 MONTHS, YOU'LL:
- Own on-call schedules, alerting, monitoring and build / deploy system used by the entire team
- Own responsibility for security, reliability and performance of our infrastructure, including improving the ways in which we track, monitor, and act on the health of our infrastructure
- Lead DevOps interview process as hiring manager, in partnership with Lever’s Recruiting Team
- Assess current infrastructure costs and update reserved instance contract and any other quick wins
- Work with our established Cyber Security team to understand identified risks and partner with them for remediation
- Own release quality and the test automation tools and pipeline
- Hire and manage QA contract engineers (as needed)
WITHIN 6 MONTHS, YOU'LL:
- Lead the effort to add multiple points of presence globally
- Own roadmap for deployment and operations improvements
- Collaborate with product and backend engineers to increase feature release speed, lower bug rates, and tighten feedback loop on performance impact of releases
- Manage relationships with vendors, hosting providers, CDN’s and any other 3rd party services we use to build our infrastructure
- Maintain risk assessments and disaster response scenarios
- Provide thought leadership in quality engineering best practices
- Build a team to build and maintain internal tools
WITHIN 12 MONTHS, YOU'LL:
- Establish a DevOps culture in the Engineering team as a whole
- Maintain knowledge of best practices and teach them to rest of team
- Ensure that service reliability and performance is scaling with our growing customer base
- Provide headcount recommendations and write role profiles for future, DevOps, and Quality engineering hires
IS THIS ROLE NOT AN EXACT FIT?
THE LEVER STORY
Lever builds modern recruiting software for teams to source, interview, and hire top talent. Our team strives to set a new bar for enterprise software with modern, well-designed, real-time apps. We participated in Y Combinator in summer 2012, and since then have raised $73 million. As the applicant tracking system of choice for Netflix, Eventbrite, ClearSlide, change.org, and thousands more leading companies, Lever means you hire the best by hiring together.
Under the hood, we're a technology company with a powerful open-source web framework: DerbyJS. It is the first and only open-source MVC framework that syncs all data via an Operational Transformation backend, using the same algorithm that powers Google Docs. DerbyJS is also uniquely optimized to render everything on the server as well as the client.
Lever is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to providing reasonable accommodations and will work with you to meet your needs. If you are a person with a disability and require assistance during the application process, please don’t hesitate to reach out! We celebrate our inclusive work environment and welcome members of all backgrounds and perspectives. Learn more about our team culture and commitment to diversity and inclusion. or learn more about what Lever Engineering is up to on the Engineering Blog.