Staff Software Engineer - MongoDB
Engineering – Engineering /
A BIT ABOUT US
Lever was founded eight years ago to tackle the most strategic challenge that companies face: how to recruit and hire top talent. We’re building the next generation of hiring software that companies like Netflix, Cirque du Soleil, Shopify, and Eventbrite rely on to grow their teams. We've rethought the talent acquisition paradigm and are the innovation leaders in our space and looking for the right people to join us as we scale.
We’re extraordinarily proud of the company we’ve built so far (not to mention humbled to be recognized as the #1 place to work in San Francisco, as well as a top workplace in the entire United States). Our people are Lever’s biggest competitive advantage and we’ll continue investing in our “Leveroos” and people-first culture.
Lever Hire, Lever’s primary web application, is built on top of MongoDB. At Lever we use DerbyJS, a real-time web framework originally created by Lever founder Nate Smith, and we rely on MongoDB to store the data that enables our real-time features. We run our own MongoDB instances and use MongoDB’s Ops Manager to manage our deployment. Over the years our usage of MongoDB has increased in complexity and the database has increased in size. We need to optimize how we use MongoDB in order to keep growing our customer base while maintaining performance, including the eventual expansion to a globally available MongoDB cluster.
This is where you come in. You will help evolve and optimize the way our software uses MongoDB to better serve the needs of Lever’s customers. You will be an integral part of delivering Lever to our users and helping maintain the database that most Lever features depend on.
As the first Software Engineer focused on MongoDB, you will focus on optimizing the way we use MongoDB at Lever. This will be a new role at Lever that you will be able to establish -- norms, processes, and how you interact with the broader engineering team will be up to you. You will have the chance to work directly with brilliant engineers across the team to advise them on schema design and query optimization. You will learn about our battle-tested Operational Transform algorithm that relies on Mongo and enables Lever’s real-time features. You will be able to grow in your career as Lever grows its customer base -- this growth will provide opportunities for more optimization and education. You will be able to build and share expertise related to using and optimizing a large-scale MongoDB deployment. You will demonstrate this expertise through informative blog posts and be able to attend MongoDB conferences as a Lever representative.
The Backend Systems Team is small but mighty. You will be joining a team of 3 engineers focused on improving Lever’s backend systems. You and your team will collaborate closely with Product Engineering teams that champions cross-functional empathy. You will work directly with an Infrastructure engineering team that is constantly improving the way Lever’s systems operate, specifically helping them optimize our MongoDB deployment. You will not write all of our MongoDB code, but you will help guide and collaborate with engineers across the company who want to use MongoDB in the best way possible.
THE SKILL SET:
- 3+ years professional experience building software that uses MongoDB
- A deep understanding of the MongoDB’s features, including the query language, query planner, indexing behavior, sharding, etc
- A desire to teach others with the communication skills needed to effectively share knowledge
- Empathy for MongoDB users in engineering and the Lever customer
- Experience building software in Node.js is a plus
- Experience and/or desire to write blog posts and attend conferences
WITHIN 1 MONTH, YOU’LL:
- Complete Ramp Camp, our comprehensive onboarding program designed to get you up to speed on all aspects of the business with a cross-functional cohort of new Leveroos. You'll learn about our business, product, vision and team and gain an understanding about how your role fits into Lever's broader organization.
- Learn about how Lever uses MongoDB
WITHIN 3 MONTHS, YOU’LL:
- Help Lever decide how to shard certain MongoDB collections effectively
- Identify opportunities to remove or consolidate indexes on collections
- Contribute to engineering roundtable discussions about MongoDB best practices
- Write documentation about MongoDB schema and indexing practices for engineers
WITHIN 6 MONTHS, YOU’LL:
- Develop a strategy to add schema enforcement to existing collections
- Improve documentation and automation of collection schemas
- Optimize the performance of complex Mongo queries that power Lever’s application
- Write linting rules to enforce best practices in code that uses MongoDB
- Consult on upgrading MongoDB versions
WITHIN 12 MONTHS, YOU’LL:
- Leverage a new feature of MongoDB after upgrading for improved performance
- Enforce schemas on all collections used by Lever’s applications
- Develop an automated schema update process followed by all engineers
- Create tests to ensure all indexes will fit into memory
- Devise a plan to expand to a Globally Available MongoDB cluster
IS THIS ROLE NOT AN EXACT FIT?
THE LEVER STORY
Lever builds modern recruiting software for teams to source, interview, and hire top talent. Our team strives to set a new bar for enterprise software with modern, well-designed, real-time apps. We participated in Y Combinator in summer 2012, and since then have raised $73 million. As the applicant tracking system of choice for Netflix, Eventbrite, ClearSlide, change.org, and thousands more leading companies, Lever means you hire the best by hiring together.
Under the hood, we're a technology company with a powerful open-source web framework: DerbyJS. It is the first and only open-source MVC framework that syncs all data via an Operational Transformation backend, using the same algorithm that powers Google Docs. DerbyJS is also uniquely optimized to render everything on the server as well as the client.
Lever is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to providing reasonable accommodations and will work with you to meet your needs. If you are a person with a disability and require assistance during the application process, please don’t hesitate to reach out! We celebrate our inclusive work environment and welcome members of all backgrounds and perspectives. Learn more about our team culture and commitment to diversity and inclusion. or learn more about what Lever Engineering is up to on the Engineering Blog.